I have a 3rd Gen iTouch. I have no computer. I want to upgrade to 4.0 .

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Murgatroyd, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Murgatroyd macrumors member

Murgatroyd

In the near future I'm going to a cyber café with Apple computers. I'll turn off iTunes Auto-synch before plugging in the iTouch. A 'Check For Update' dialog button will present itself somewhere on the iTunes window after plugging in. Ticking the update button and the upgrade procedure will begin. Is there any further info I should know about and understand? I don't want to wipe out documents or lose my apps from an auto-restore, :mad: or some other iTunes quirk I should know of beforehand.

Thanks.

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

When you upgrade, iTunes wipes everything off your device and then restored it using the new software. You will have to sync with the computer first, back up your iPhone, and then update, then sync again. I would give this whole process about three hours to complete.

Seriously, who doesn't have a computer? I am assuming you have some reason that you can't have one, but I'm curious, why?

3. Murgatroyd thread starter macrumors member

Murgatroyd

I'm actually a spy for the Miley Cyrus clan. My mission's objectives require I travel lite. :cool:

4. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

5. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

Some people, and not necessarily the original poster, do not have a computer for themselves as they don't have an income. Yet they have an iPod they received as a gift.

The family computer may be off limits. Who knows? Who cares?

Some updates allowed the data to remain intact. I can't rememeber from the 2.x to 3.x update but suspect it will be a fresh install and require resyncing your data back.

If you have purchased content like APPs, they can be redownloaded without an additional charge from within the App Store app. You won't be able to redownload music.

Contacts and calendar data could be saved out if you set up an gmail account and use the 'exchange services' option for syncing your contacts/email/calendar to their servers.

Photos, videos and your game/data saves won't be saved if it is a clean install for iOS4. But I don't have an iOS4 compatible device to try the update on.

As for your spying, stay low key and don't attract attention...