I have a baseline Mac mini 2012, looking for 16 gb of ram

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Volkstaia, May 6, 2015.

1. Volkstaia macrumors regular

Volkstaia

I don't know much about this so if someone could just give me an amazon link (I know they don't have as good prices but I have prime) it would be nice

2. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Just put mine in. It was about $100.

Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) 204-Pin SODIMM Notebook Memory CT2KIT102464BF160B / CT2CP102464BF160B https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007B5S52C/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_s3Ssvb1GY05EA
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007B5S52C/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_s3Ssvb1GY05EA

I didn't notice any change in startup performance but system performance was a huge difference. I would recommend an SSD over ram first. That made more of boost than the ram

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP:

Do you absolutely NEED 16gb of RAM?

If you still have an internal platter-based hard drive, my suggestion echoes reply 3 above.

Add an 8gb RAM module (just one) AND get an SSD (doesn't have to be high-capacity, even 120gb will do) via an external USB3 enclosure.

Put your OS and apps on the SSD. Depending on the amount of files you have, you might want to keep movies, videos, music and pics on the internal HDD.

You will LIKE the performance increase!

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I added 16GB into my MacMini expecting using all of it with my research project. Actually I only filled up the entire memory (and made memory pressure become red) once.

But I think sometimes maxing out a Mini is just a matter of fun, a kind of a hobby. If this is the intention of the OP, fine. Otherwise, 8GB + SSD suit most usage needs.

5. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

I too have a i5 Mac Mini Late 2012 with 500GB HD and last January I added two(2) 8GB "Lifetime Brand" Ram Sticks at a steep Costa Rica cost of $240 installed.

Funny thing is that since bumping-up to 16GB RAM I have never once exceded the original 4GB of Memory per the "Activity Monitor" and every once-in-awhile I still get the dreaded "Spinning Beach Ball" but only for an instant. Looks like this may be a bad omen that my HD is failing little-by-little?? I will be visiting the good old USA next month and may pick-up a OWC SSD External Drive.

6. Volkstaia thread starter macrumors regular

Volkstaia

I'm an After Effects guy, my current biggest bottleneck is that the program locks up under 4 gigs when I'm doing stuff with HD video very easily. The HDD doesn't matter as much, to me, I have an external, and upgrading RAM is a supported thing while I'm not very comfortable with hard drive stuff.

7. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

You do not even have to worry about placement on the SSD. Apple's "Fusion" drive is the best form of SSD & HDD mixing I have seen on any platform. Completely seamless and works on the boot drive. I have the stock 500GB drive, plus a 256GB SSD for 768GB total and I have never noticed the bottleneck of the HDD.

The Fusion drive is marvelous.

8. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Right, why fuss with placement when OS X can handle that for you? If you like fiddling with file locations or have special needs go for it but Fusion Drive is seamless, fast, and transparent. I have been running versions of OS X on a FD based mini for almost two years with no problems.