I have a blown out Iphone speaker; is it hard to replace? Link to cheap parts inside!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Orecets, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Orecets macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=begqPY-cJyw

Sounds like arse, I need to replace it, and I have the replacement in the mail already.

Ive watched several disassembly guides, but none that focus on the speaker assembly.

Anyone here ever do this? Does access to the speaker require total disassembly? Ive modded my fair share of video game consoles, and I know my way around the innards of electronics, but any tips or advice would be great.

ps Here is a cheap store that sells iphone parts stuff for like half the price if anyone has the same situation.

http://store.kokopellimusic.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=800&Redirected=Y

Thanks for any help sirs or maams.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i like this thread as it shows an iPhone user not thinking about asking for a replacement right off the bat.

its a new iPhone 3G right? why not just got to an Apple Store and ask them to repair or replace it. the speaker is obviously busted.

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Apple should replace this if it was not accidental damage. What did you do to it to cause this so that I can avoid this happening to me?

4. Orecets thread starter macrumors newbie

Ooops sorry guys, I should have specified that my phone is 1st gen, and has been unlocked and jailbroken since it came out of the box.

Got it on ebay, as I live in northern Maine, so returning it isnt really an option.

And I cant think of any event that caused this to start happening :( I just picked it up one day, and played a video off mxtube, and it sounded like garbled ass.

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yeah, you may be in a bind. Replacing may be the best option for you, but what you could do is restore the iPhone, remove any evidence of unlocking (SIM Card) and bring it into Apple. Say I restored because I wasn't sure if that was causing the problem. Play dumb. That might work... But hey it's entirely up to you! Good luck and I hope you can get it fixed without too much trouble!

6. Orecets thread starter macrumors newbie

Closest apple retailer is 6 hours south, and I have no receipt. :(

Do they allow you to mail it in and exchange without one? How long is it covered by warranty?

7. Dimarco macrumors member

I am in a similar situation, but my Iphone is 3g. The first thing I thought was wrong with it was the earphone jack; so I took out the whole screen and swapped it into a buddy of mine's iphone 3g who had a busted screen and still the speaker would not work. I have a spare speaker but I am unsure how to take out the old one and put in the new. Help on this would be great. I can't find a video about the speaker anywhere.