I have a bomb and I'm not afraid to use it.....Just kidding!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Jan 21, 2010.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

As if we needed any further proof of the farce that is the Security Theater that is the TSA, I bring you the story of Rebecca Solomon, summarized below.

After passing through security, following all the many unproductive procedure that have been laid out for her to follow, she was presented with a baggy of white powder and a question, "where did you get it?"

Was this baggy full of cocaine, anthrax, some sinister powdered bomb that requires 4 ounces of water to reconstitute? She didn't know. It wasn't hers. After 20 seconds, he revealed the truth.

The bag was his.

It was a practical joke.

Her complaints to TSA supervisors fell on deaf ears. Her complaints attracted the attention of the article writer, who contacted regional TSA. Apparently he has now left the TSA (whether voluntarily or involuntarily is unclear).

I now leave you with two thoughts -

1) If I brought a device that looked like a bomb, and acted like a bomb, do you think my privacy would be protected by the TSA, and do you think I would have been able to hide from this in the same way?

2) While the TSA may not be able to share names and personnel actions due to privacy laws, you can. Next time you have to travel through security, make sure you take down names and be sure to be ready to share them when the need arises.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

And these guys will be using those special scanners on us? :mad:

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I probably would have punched him in the face.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I would definitely have been fighting that reflex.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I wonder if it's the same dumbass TSA agent at PHL who thought my real Missouri drivers license was fake but let me on the plane anyways.

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

That reminds me of what I saw earlier this week when flying to Phoenix. I was in the scanner line, waiting for my bag to come through. The girl manning it saw something in the bag ahead of me and meekly said "bag check" in an attempt to get the guy nearby to do said bag check. Well, she said it so low that he never heard. She gave it one more try, not raising her voice at all. No dice...

So she let it go and kept scanning bags. I almost yelled for him myself. I never heard about any planes blowing up, so it must have been nothing. But jesus :confused:

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Do they wear name tags? It's been a couple of months since I've flown and I honestly can't remember. If they don't wear name tags, I honestly wouldn't trust them to tell me their real name if I asked.

9. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Yep. Little golden plates on their chest. It's been a while since my last flight, but I think it may only be last name. But, in all honesty, how many of a given last name are going to work at a given airport - especially if coupled with a physical description?

10. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Kinda reminds me of the routine Gallagher (the prop comedian) did with a rubber crescent wrench: "I'd love to go through the metal detector at the airport with this under my arm, it don't go beep, I then turn around and [brandishing it like a real crescent wrench] go, 'I'm a federal inspector -- what the f&@k??'" :D