I have a broken display and want to download files

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pleasantlake, Sep 9, 2008.

1. pleasantlake macrumors newbie

I have a broken display on my macbook and want to download files if possible to a cd.

2. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

target disk

Do you have access to another Apple computer? You could hook them up via firewire cable in target disk mode (hold down T on the macbook at startup after they're connected) and move your files off the broken dispay computer to whatever media you want. Or get an external display to connect to (you'll need the mini-dvi adapter probably)

3. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

Or get a USB to SATA adapter, remove your HDD and connect it up to another computer. This will cost you less than $25.

4. pleasantlake thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice cawesjmu I will try that when I get home. Thanks for your advice MacBass . I tried that but my windows vista PC couldn't open the drive and only showed it under usb devices and not under hard drives to look at it. I called the Apple Tech Spt and they said to hook up the adapter to the macbook and an external monitor. Then he said to start the external monitor then the macbook and it should install and use the external monitor. But it didn't and I restarted it 4 or 5 times with no luck. The last time I left it on and waited over 2 hours with no luck. He told me there was no keys to hit when I did it either. And I asked again and he said no there isn't. It just goes to prove the tech spt doesn't know everything huh?! I am wondering if there is a way to change the jumper settings on the hardrive to slave? Then windows should see it as a hard drive and give me access to it.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

So you are using an Apple mini-dvi to VGA (or DVI) adaptor cable and the monitor is showing nothing ? The tech is correct there are no keys to press it will just take over as the display.

If that is the case then this is more than a broken MacBook display problem.....How did it break ? Has it suffered some other damage ?

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That would be true if the lid is closed, and the MacBook is wake up without opening the lid (example, using USB mouse).

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Mine works with an external monitor with the lid up - both the internal and the external will display the desktop (on mine with a different desktop wallpaper..eh).

If I send it to sleep and wake it up only the external shows the desktop...the internal stays black.

So it should work just by plugging it in - which is what I said.

8. pleasantlake thread starter macrumors newbie

well I tried everything everyone suggested and no picture on the display. Now I was trying to slide out the hard drive and the paper pull tab ripped off. How do I get the hard drive out now. I have it out about 1 inch out so far.Can someone please help me as soon as possible.

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I think that you will probably have to remove the topcase - instructions at
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/

You could try jiggling the hard drive from side to side but sounds like the rubber guides are no longer stuck and are jamming the disk.