Price Advice I have a bunch of Macs laying around...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ncbetz, Aug 1, 2016.

1. ncbetz macrumors 6502

ncbetz

Hi,

I have about four Macs that I am not using, many our ancient, but I just have no use for them. I personally hate selling things on eBay. Does anyone have tips? What price should I do? I heard MacRumors has a selling place. Maybe I could try that when I post enough.

Thanks,
    Noah

2. chscag macrumors 68000

eBay is a good place to get some idea of what price you can sell them for. Lots of folks do that and then sell their Macs or other items privately. Meet the prospective buyer in person locally at a public place and accept cash only. I personally like Starbucks because of the free Wifi.

3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Depends on what you have and your situation of of course, but I have given two PC's, a Mac, a Netbook and a Chromebook away to people in need in the last few years. I'm lucky to have more than I need (or want as of late) and I figure why not help someone out.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Do you have friends or family that could really use a second hand Mac??? If so that seems a no brainier.

5. ncbetz thread starter macrumors 6502

ncbetz

They are too old to be used.

Yeah, I would love to do that if it could actually be used by people.

The thing that doesn't work is the trackpad. It doesn't always register clicks. I may just try to sell it for parts or give it away to one of my friends who likes to take things apart.

6. CrystalQuest76 macrumors 6502

Try level 4 reformatting the HD and installing an older OS from the time period of the computer's purchase date. It will be time consuming but the hardware may then start working consistently. If everything is working then donate it to your local public school or library. Older machines, unless they are really old are still very usable by schools. If the computer hardware does not behave properly after reformatting then donate to local vocational school where it will be used as a teaching aid for the computer hardware classes.

7. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Can you be more specific about which models you have? Every now and then I wish I had a Mac running MacOS9 so I could play some old-school games.

8. ncbetz, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016

ncbetz thread starter macrumors 6502

ncbetz

My old one is a MacBook on Lion (10.7?). I have another that I need to go check.

Everyone: I went to Recovery HD, erased all disks, then tried to reinstall OS X. I typed in Apple ID to sign into App Store to reinstall, and it said this item is temporarily unavailable. It has said that for two days.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2016 ---
    Sorry, it says "this item is temporally unavailable", not service.

9. kohlson macrumors 6502a

This is a symptom of a swollen battery in some models.