I have a few questions about the ipad 3 before i buy it.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by greatone101, May 28, 2012.

1. greatone101 macrumors newbie

I plan to buy the new Ipad 32 GB Wifi version this week but i have a few questions.

1. If i jailbreak my ipad can i still get stuff from the App Store?

2. I know that Ipad does not come with flash, but i heard getting flash on it is still possible. So how does the flash alternatives on the ipad work? Like if i see a flash movie do i have to download it and convert it? or will it play automatically like if i was on a regular pc?

3. I also can pick to get a 600$ laptop, what are the benefits over the ipad other than size over a laptop?

4. Does the Ipad3 have any wifi problems? reason i ask this is cause i had the Asus Transformer Prime but returned it due to bad wifi issues.

5. Can i connect a PS3 controller via blue tooth to play games?

6. Can i run multiple browser tabs at the same time with out slowing the speed?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

3) I find the iPad or Tablets in general are better as a consumption device. There are some here who have purchased Pages, Numbers, Keynote and GarageBand and are quite happy with that setup. For me nothing replaces a laptop as much as I like Tablets.

4) I actually had a WiFi issue which is more of a glitch. I lost my WiFi connection on my iPad 3. It only happened ONCE !

6) I have run multiple browser tabs in Safari and no speed issues especially with the 3rd Gen iPad.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

1). Yes
    2). There is no flash built in, but some 3rd party browsers from the app store support SOME flash content. YouTube videos play natively so no worries there.
    3). Depends on what you are trying to get out of either device.

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

There are some browsers that you can download that apparently allow you to view Flash on the iPad, but from what I've read, they aren't necessarily that good. I think you should go with the assumption that to view Flash video on an iPad you will have to convert it first.

5. iEvolution macrumors 65816

1. If i jailbreak my ipad can i still get stuff from the App Store?
    Yes you can just avoid any Apple related operating system updates.

2. I know that Ipad does not come with flash, but i heard getting flash on it is still possible. So how does the flash alternatives on the ipad work? Like if i see a flash movie do i have to download it and convert it? or will it play automatically like if i was on a regular pc?
    I haven't found sites with flash that I have problems with running because many of them are also developed in HTML 5. Yes there are some alternative browsers that will allow you to view sites that have problems with running correctly with Safari.

3. I also can pick to get a 600$ laptop, what are the benefits over the ipad other than size over a laptop?
    + App selection is unique
    + Its faster in certain scenerios (due to flash storage)
    + Touch screen is unique to the same ol' keyboard and mouse
    + The screen quality cannot be matched
    - Touch screen typing isn't as effective as a keyboard, you can get a keyboard to run with the iPad but it is not very robust because you can only use one or the other you can't run with a keyboard and quickly switch to the on-screen keyboard which makes it kind of a downer.
    - The lack of a file system hurts the device as a productivity device, you can download files or create files but these files are stuck within the app unless you export them off to online storage.
    - As a result of lack of a file system it doesn't make it a very good media creation or modification device in comparison to a full blown computer.

If you're looking for a productivity device I think a laptop would be a better choice, if you are looking to have a fun device for media viewing, games and moderate productivity then the iPad 3 is a good choice.

4. Does the Ipad3 have any wifi problems? reason i ask this is cause i had the Asus Transformer Prime but returned it due to bad wifi issues.
    I haven't had any.

5. Can i connect a PS3 controller via blue tooth to play games?
    Doubtful, but I'm not sure.

6. Can i run multiple browser tabs at the same time with out slowing the speed?
    There is no problem, in fact I haven't had as much as a hiccup from my iPad 3 switching between multiple apps and tabs.

6. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

1. Yes.

2. I never bothered.

3. Depends on your needs/use. I only use the iPad and a Mac mini for all my needs.

4. Have yet to have any wifi problems but I do not connect to wifi all that often. I am mainly on 4G LTE 99% of the time as it is faster. Unlimited data grandfathered.

5. If the software is available, yes but I don't see why you would want to use a controller unless you were playing games that would require the use of one?

6. The iPad 3 is sufficiently fast IMO. I've yet to notice a slow down.

7. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

3) The form factor, really. The ability to hold your ipad like a clipboard and still use it like any other laptop can be quite advantageous in many scenarios compared to say, trying to balance a laptop on one hand while typing with the other, or reclining on a chair/bed.

For instance, I teach, and am able to walk around monitoring my pupils while holding an ipad in one hand (and still having access to all my teaching material). It would be very difficult to do this on a conventional laptop.

Basically, any situation in which you find operating a full-fledged laptop awkward, chances are, a tablet would shine in such a case. :)

4) Haven't had any wifi issues with mine so far.

5) Not sure of any games that support ps3 controllers? :confused:

6) Again, working fine on my ipad.

8. R1PPER macrumors 6502

If you have an imac then get the ipad over the laptop. If the ipad is going to be your primary device then get a laptop instead. Ipad is about browsing media a playing games and tinkering with apps. Not a desktop replacement.

9. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I agree 100%. The lack of a file system is the only thing keeping me tied to my laptop. Dumping Numbers, Pages and Keynotes files to iCloud is "best" workaround so far, but it's not optimal.

10. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Just a quick correction here for the OP: If you get the iWork apps then all your files are automatically synced to iCloud. No need to "dump" them. :)

You can then download/upload them manually from to a desktop/laptop from the iCloud website. Hopefully OS X Mountain Lion and the next version of iWork for Mac will bring iCloud access to files, making for seamless iPad/OS X editing of files, but this hasn't been mentioned anywhere.

Note: Wifi works fine for me on the new iPad but quite a lot of users have been reporting problems: http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/05/tech/gaming-gadgets/ipad-wi-fi-issues/index.html

11. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

True, but you don't have to synch every time you make modifications. I use Numbers on my Touch daily but only synch to iCloud every few days.

12. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Really? How do you stop it? If I go to the documents screen sync happens automatically.

13. AppleDApp, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012

AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

1) No you will have to use Cydia
    3) As the previous poster said he prefers a laptop for content creation. In my case, I purchased an iPad simply for on the go work. I use the iWork suite and do all the heavy lifting on my iMac.
    4) Not that I know of. Worst case scenario, Apple will push an update or replace your device.
    5) NO.
    6) YES I haven't had any issues doing so with safari. I haven't tried other browsers.

Documents in the cloud will allow it.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

To get app store apps??? Cydia just has the jailbreak apps and tweaks, to get apps from the app store, you still use the app store.

15. JAYBEATS23 macrumors newbie

iPad replaced my desktop computer . I only use it to upload /editing game footage videos

You get apps from cydia and the iTunes store

16. kaydot macrumors regular

4. I have had to reboot my iPad about once a month due to wifi loss. It is pretty stable, but it has crashed enough to make me delighted when it works.

5. No, you can't.

17. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I leave my Touch in Airplane mode when not home, as it's almost 3 years old and the battery is starting to lose it's oomph. I forget to take it out of Airplane some days so it won't sync.

There is a setting in the iWork apps that allows you to turn off storing in iCloud, but it defaults to enabled when you have an account.