I have a few questions regarding the Back to School Sale

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 204467, Jul 13, 2008.

1. 204467 macrumors 6502a

High, first post here, forgive my ignorance. I'm going to get an iMac later in the summer, but with me still being in high school, my Dad wants my sister to buy it (she's in college) so that we can get an education discount and an iPod. What I want to know is how the Sale works. Would my sister get a discount on the iMac, or just a free iPod? Would she get both? Can she choose which kind of iPod to get or would that lower the rebate? Finally, would she have to do this in stores or online? If this post makes no sense, I apologize; simply reply with confusion and I will try to answer your questions so you can answer mine.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Education Discount is year-round. You purchase any Apple product (save for iPods) at a reduced price. With the Back-To-School-Clearing-Out-Of-Old-iPods-So-That-We-Can-Release-The-New-Ones-In-September promotion in the summer, you must purchase the computer and either a nano or touch up front, at which point you get a mail-in rebate for the iPod.

3. keltorsori macrumors regular

The promo runs until Sept. 15. just FYI. It's a good deal in my opinion

4. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

5. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

6. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

She gets a discount on the imac, a free ipod(or touch which is a better deal), and you can also get a free printer(retail price is 100). the rebate is the same but she can still get a different ipod, you just have to pay the difference. i'm not sure if you can do it in the stores but you can definitely do it online.

7. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

This is a great offer right now. I just got a new 24" iMac($100 off) with a free iPod touch($299 off) and a free printer($99 off). I got all my rebates back in the mail in under a week. Anyone thinking about getting a new mac should jump all over this before September 15th.

8. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I bought mine at a retail store. They just ask to see your student ID for verification.

9. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, so let me see if I have this straight.
    She will get the education discount on the iMac, meaning a lower price (and I don't have to listen to my Dad complain about money:p). Then, she buys an iPod and will receive a rebate for it in the mail, thus resulting in a free iPod. But how would the Apple Online Store know that the iPod and the iMac purchase are from a student? Would she have to provide some kind of online ID?
    Also; if I want to get the bluetooth Mighty Mouse, would I have no choice but to get if from the online store? Ahhh, I feel so stupid for not understanding this, I guess this is why English is not my best class:rolleyes:.
    Once again, I apologize if I don't seem to be making any sense.

10. Peabody macrumors regular

Quick Instructions:
    1. Go to an Apple Retail Store - with your dad and your student ID (yes, high schoolers are eligible for discounts and rebates).

2. Purchase the Mac & iPod - pay the student discounted price on the Mac and the regular retail on the iPod. I believe the Mighty Mouse is also discounted educationally - and yes it's in the retail store, but not as a build to order option as with online. It's just plain extra.

3. Take the receipt home and go to www.apple.com/rebate/. Click the "get started" button. You'll need an AppleID (iTunes account) to finish the rebate process.

4. Fill out the field for the receipt ID. It's the number below your barcode on the Apple Retail receipt. You get a rebate for the exact amount of the iPod purchase up to $299.

5. Wait about a week to 12 days. Check your mailbox. The rebate check will be waiting for you.

I did this and it worked great. The retail store determines your eligibility with your student ID at the time of purchase. After that you don't need any further documentation of student / educator status.

Hope this helps!

11. wickedpapercut macrumors member

wickedpapercut

Just to clarify something a bit... EVERYTHING has to be purchased at the same time on the same receipt -- the iMac, the iPod, and the printer. Don't do it in separate transactions or the rebates may not work. Read the details on the rebate forms before making your purchase.

Have fun.

12. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahah! I get it now! I go to the online store, find my sister's school, buy the mac, then buy the ipod. I never understood why they only offered the 8 gig touch until I found out about the $299 rule. Well, now it all makes sense. I guess whenever my parents want to do that, I'll be getting a new computer. Goodness, I feel so dumb sometimes.