I have a huge dilemma - JUST bought cMBP, is the retina worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnnw, Feb 13, 2013.

1. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Basically I got student pricing for my MBP 10 days ago. Now I'm seeing that retinas were dropped, meaning I could get the rMBP for 1399 vs 1099 I paid for my pro. I got the base line 13, so the retina would improve the screen (obviously), same processor, 8GB of ram vs 4GB I have now and a 128GB SSD vs 5400Rpm 500GB.

Should I return it? What is your experience with the retina? Is it worth it?

I feel like it may hold better resale value if its the retina, but I'm really stuck right now.

Your two cents?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a stupid question I'm just worried now that I spent all this money.

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

It is a matter of asking yourself a question, if it is without retina can you survive. If classic MBP suits you then keep it.
    One suggestion is with your $300 you save with the classic, you can upgrade
    to 256gb ssd and add 16gb ram, it will be better than retina one.
    Just my 2 cents.

3. gametime10 macrumors regular

I went from a 13" cMBP to 13" rMBP and I would say it's worth it. The previous poster mentioned upgrades you could make, but you probably wouldn't notice a huge difference b/w 8GB and 16GB of memory in terms of day to day use. I would recommend getting the refurbished 13" rMBP w/ 256GB SSD for $1359 as the 128GB is pretty cramped:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...z-dual-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-display

4. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

I think its worth it, especially now. Side note: I just purchased the 256 GB 2.5 i5 on sunday, and I will be returning it tonight for the 2.6 256, and getting $300 back lol.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

The rMBP is a lot more compelling today. The new price is the same as the cMBP equipped with the same amount of RAM and SSD (albeit without the optical drive, but with a much better screen, a 2nd Thunderbolt port, and HDMI).

6. iPhonesandMacs, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

Yeah was having buyers remorse, but after I go get $300 back tonight and an upgraded machine since I am in the 14 day window, I think ill feel a lot better lol... I really only had buyers remorse due to price.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I'm just outside the price adjust window (I bought mine 7 weeks ago today, and from a reseller), but have no regrets. The 13" rMBP is a great machine.

While the 2.6GHz processor would be nice, neither it nor the 3.0GHz i7 are enough of an upgrade to make me want to take a loss on the one I have. Besides, Haswell will be an even bigger upgrade in 6 months, and I'm still holding out for the possibility of an 11.6" Retina Air. I bought the rMBP only because I lost my 2012 MacBook Air and decided to upgrade with my insurance proceeds. The Air also dropped by $100, so my insurance proceeds would have been lower, anyway.

The refurbished versions of the old models look VERY compelling right now. If I were in the market, I'd probably snap one up.

8. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

It depends on your usage and buying/selling habits. The retina would probably sell for more, but you're not going to be able to upgrade it. Prices of RAM and SSDs are constantly dropping, so you'll be able to upgrade your non-retina MBP to have better specifications than the retina, for cheaper than you would need to spend on the retina to have those same specifications. In that regard, the non-retina MBP is more versatile and could last you longer.

The longevity of the non-retina MBP line is another possible consideration with the resale prices. The popular thought is that Apple intends to make the retina MBP's form factor the new standard, including the soldered RAM and non-standard SSD. It's unknown when Apple will discontinue the non-retina form factor (if they really are going to), but if the 2012 non-retina MBPs are the last of the line, they may hold their resale value better than previous generations.

9. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Get the 13" Retina for $1359 w/256GB SSD. Apple is basically pushing these out to make room for the 2.6 Ghz... Grab one while they have it! For all you know, it'll be a new machine :)

10. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

cMBP? What's that? If I remember right 'rMBP' is refurbished MBP, is that right?

11. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

12. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

rMBP- Retina Macbook Pro
    cMBP- Classic Macbook Pro [ Non retina ]

13. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

14. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Am I still able to get the education discount on refurbished? I'm assuming not.

15. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

16. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

That's that I assumed. Really unfortunate. I ended up saving 200 dollars doing that.

I really don't like the idea of not being able to upgrade anything...

But then again if Apple drops the non retina pro all together mines value will be slaughtered I'm betting.

Ugh... I hate this stuff. So torn.

17. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

or Keep your MBP. buy a nice display.

----------

http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

18. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

If you're buying from a ' re-sale ' point of view, the 13" rMBP is not for you... Stick with the non retina and get a decent ext. display.

19. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

LOL. Thank you, I've had both. My old one was the CMBP, and my new one that I just got is the RMBP.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Retina display is worth it to some, not to others. For me, the weight difference is worth it.

21. Brian Y macrumors 68040

In my opinion:

15" Retina: worth it.
    13" Retina: not worth it.

At the new prices, the 13" is more reasonable, but still not worth it IMO.

22. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

You know, it (my new MBP) does seem lighter. Maybe it's because I don't have a 'spec' case on this one. I had a 'spec' case last time. (I only had the 'spec' case last time because my dog was still young enough to be a puppy, and my sister has a boston terrier... a very hyper dog... and I didn't/don't want scratches on my MBP.