Carrier I have a iPhone 6S with 15 months left 2 year contract on Verizon. I plan on selling but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Sep 5, 2016.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Trouble selling it ? I plan on selling it a week after the iPhone 7 is released.
    How much can I sell it for with 15 months left ? and what exactly do I have to do.
    I really am interested in buying the iPhone 7 full priced with the help of selling the 6S

2. I_am_a_loser macrumors regular

You're paying off the 6s regardless of whether you still own it or not. See what you can get for your current phone and then put that towards the 7, swap your SIM card, and proceed as you have been.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I would still contact your carrier and see if they allow a trade in. It depends on the carrier of course and if they run a certain promotion.

4. willmtaylor, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

[EDIT: This post seems to be causing some confusing, so I'm going to clarify.]
    You can't sell off It's extremely risky to buy a phone that isn't paid for. You (obviously) need to pay it off before you sell it.

[To sell a phone with payments remaining]You'd either have to lie to sell it or sell it to an idiot [who is willing to take a complete stranger's word that he will use your money to pay for your phone instead of pocketing it, which would result in your phone being blacklisted for nonpayment].

Which are you planning on doing?

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Wait, why? I haven't been on a subsidized plan in some time, but I thought it was fine to sell, the original owner just remains obligated to pay it off. Why would Verizon care who is in physical possession of the phone as long as the OP pays what he owes?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

The phone is yours to do with as you wish. You just have to fulfill the contract commitment related to it.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Point is VZW doesn't care, but let me ask you this: would YOU give hundreds of dollars to some stranger who "promises" he/she will use said dollars to pay off the phone? I know I wouldn't. So many cases of confused buyers hitting MRF wondering why their phones are suddenly expensive blacklisted bricks. Meanwhile, the sellers are laughing all the way to the bank.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Well no, I wouldn't, but then again, if I sold my under-contract phone to someone else, I sure as hell wouldn't cheat them by getting the phone blacklisted. I'd pay off my debt. If that's what the OP is planning on doing, and the buyer is ok with it, then I see no problem.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Realistically that's how a lot of the personal sales have been like for many years. For the most part it's not an issue as the contract or financing is separate from the device and carriers go after the person for payment although some have blacklisted devices at times too (even though they weren't supposed to). There's always the other risk that someone would just report the phone as lost or stolen (for insurance purposes) or something like that. Basically there's always risk with second-hand personal sales.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I wouldn't either, but my point remains. It's happened many times, so I just want to help out by making sure people know what they're getting into.

Free world and all though.

(For me, I'd do local Craig'sList, meet at a carrier store, make sure everything is on the up and up, pay off phone, and then be on my merry way.)

11. I_am_a_loser macrumors regular

This is what I assumed as well. Why can't he sell it?

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Unfortunately even that can't prevent the device later being claimed as lost or stolen, which isn't all that common, but also isn't all that rare either.

13. DBZmusicboy01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will use my current contract SIM on the iPhone 7... will that help ? still will be paying monthly

14. I_am_a_loser macrumors regular

Ah, yes, the "up and up."

15. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

First determine exactly what you owe to pay it off. Then go to Swappa.com and see what the going rates are for your make, model, storage, accessories, condition, etc. If it seems like it'll work in your favor list it.

Swappa takes $10 and PayPal, which is required, takes 2.9%. But this way you are backed by PayPal and Swappa. You can choose to be up front about paying it off, or not. That's your call. Since you have to ship it, that gives a day or two to pay it off. But remember, it'll take 2-3 days to move the PayPal money to your bank account so you may need an alternate method to do the payoff.

If not Swappa, then Craigslist. I wouldn't give eBay the 9% or whatever it is they take these days.

16. comptr macrumors 68000

you bought the 6S at 2 year pricing right ? if that is the case just sell off the phone and collect the cash and use it towards the 7 and buy it at full retail price

17. puma1552 macrumors 601

That's my impression as well. If he's on a subsidized contract and not on a payment plan, can't he switch devices at any time by selling his privately and paying full price for the new phone, and the contract just continues as-is through the expiration date?

Isn't he just switching devices with no impact on the contract? Pretty sure that's how most people upgraded every year for years when pretty much everyone had 2 year contracts, but I'm not sure exactly.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I've edited my reply which was causing confusion. I hope it clears up my sentiments.

I was never saying it isn't possible to sell a phone with payments remaining. I was stating that it's unwise to purchase one with payments remaining. Apologies for the confusion.

Additionally, I was in the mindset of "device payment plans" not contract pricing. 2 different things. Certainly "my bad."

19. comptr macrumors 68000

Well since he is on 2 year contract he can just sell it off and when the buyer checks the ESN it will show that its clean and have no money owed so he can sell it off and just take the cash buy the new iPhone 7. He only signed a contract for the plan not the phone.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

I believe even with device payment plans (or financing) you still own the device and you just have a loan that you pay off whether or not you use or have the actual device. Ultimately not that much different in that respect. But it all still comes with the typical risks of getting a used devices from a personal transaction.

21. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Meet your buyer at the VZW store, pay off the phone in front of the buyer, then get your new device