I have a jb'ed iPhone 3GS (OS=3.1.2), can I upgrade to a jb OS v4.x yet?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cmm, Oct 31, 2010.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my OS from 3.1.2 to 4.x. Can I do this, yet, given I have jailbroken my iPhone 3GS's 3.1.2 OS?

I only use jailbreaking for tethering, so it is imperative that I can continue to tether when I upgrade. I am on AT&T.

Is there a method available for upgrading in my case?

Thanks!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will PwnageTool work with an iPhone 3GS running 3.1.2 that is already jailbroken (I forgot which method I used previously)?

4. kre62 macrumors 68000

Tethering works just fine on 4.1 just upgrade to 4.1 and use www.limera1n.com to jb it. Easy as can be.

5. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where are the docs on limera1n before I use it? All I can find on their site are two download links and pictures of jb'ed devices.

6. OhioLefty macrumors regular

Most jailbreaks will not have documentation, if you need a tutorial, check out iclarified.com. A couple of things to keep in mind is one, when you update to iOS v4.x, you will lose your unlock as it will update your baseband and as of today, there isn't an unlock available yet for iOS v4.x (maybe coming soon). If that isn't a concern then you shouldn't have much of a problem updating. Second, make sure you backup to iTunes for Apple apps and if your Cydia apps (if you have any) will need to be backed up with an app designed to backup Cydia apps (PkgBackup for one) as iTunes will not restore those apps. The alternative would be to re-install all your apps one at a time.

Good luck...

7. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I remember that site from when I jailbroke the first time. I'll look for a tutorial for limera1n.