I have a mid 2010 Macbook. Should i get a new MacBook? I need advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fionnboy, Jun 17, 2013.

1. fionnboy macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a mid 2010 Unibody white MacBook, 2.4Ghz Intel Dual Core, 4GB, 250GB HDD. I would quite like an upgrade because it is getting a bit slow when running a few applications and booting up (apps and start-up). I would be selling it to a friend so i am getting guaranteed money for it and am getting a uni discount so i am not having to spend a great deal but i would rather not spend anything if i don't have to.

I would like a MacBook Air because, although it can't handle CPU intensive apps like the MacBook Pro, the almost instant booting of apps and start-up attracts me (I'm very impatient). I need advice as to whether i should get a new one now or is my one still adequate.

Thanks for the help...:D

2. pnyc macrumors 6502

"I need advice as to whether i should get a new one now or is my one still adequate."

Adequate for what? You want someone else to tell you if you find the computer you use now adequate for the things you do? I'm a little confused by your questions but I think you're the only one that can answer it.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you can't tell by using it and need others to tell you then it's adequate.

4. Bear macrumors G3

It's hard to tell if your current one is still adequate without knowing more. One thing to note is that the new MacBook Air is much faster than your current MacBook.

5. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Yes, buy a new one (I love spending other people's money). :apple:

6. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

You can upgrade your RAM and hard drive, a new yes you might have a good cpu but the gpu is going to be crappy.

7. John Adams macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat. Mid 2010 13" Pro and have my eye on a new one with Retina. What's crappy about the current GPU?

8. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Gaming on the 13 models even on the 13 inch Retina isn't going to be shock an awe, the integrated graphics could only do so much. Sure your battery life is going to be awesome, but anything else involving graphics isn't going to be spectacular.

9. John Adams macrumors regular

I do zero gaming and just light stuff graphics wise. I'm sure I wouldn't notice a problem.

10. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

11. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

If you can afford changing computers and its that meaningful then do it. Personally I would rather upgrade the internals and clean up the system (delete files and apps you dont use to optimize it) then shell out more money that quickly.