I have a PBG4 17", is it worth it to get the body repaired?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rj-300zx, Feb 6, 2009.

1. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

The palm rest is dented and the corner next to the DVD burner is missing the plastic piece. And the lid has several very heavy scratches. These weren't caused by me, and that only makes it that much more annoying. Should I, replace these, it will be at least a year and a half before i could afford a new MBP anyway. Thanks much!

edit: It would cost me less than 150 to repair on a side note.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If you buy the part from the internet and learn to do it yourself with the help of online tutorials, then Yes!! Cause it'll be way cheaper than askin Apple to help you. Once more. Come March, those parts won't be available from Apple themselves.

Check powerbookmedic's site, chances are they'll have all the bits you'll need and it'll come with hard-copy instructions. Though, you can find them all at ifixit.com too!

3. rj-300zx thread starter macrumors regular

rj-300zx

I was looking on powerbookmedic and could not find any of the parts I need. :confused:

4. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

The short answer is "no." Depending on the cost of repairs (will be a lot for parts even if you do it yourself, and you might damage it), you should weigh that against how much it will increase the resale value. I don't think that computer is in very high demand anymore, so I would just save the money you would spend on repairs and put it towards your next machine...

But, your decision.

5. rj-300zx thread starter macrumors regular

rj-300zx

Well if Apple can still supply me with service, I will go with them. Its not me thats paying anyway, dad owes me a giant favor so this will work out perfect!

6. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

If I were you, I would give it a "paintjob"!. Like an automotive paint job. Sand it down with fine grit sand paper, tape off the areas, and give it a few coats using spray paint. That will give it G4-17 a unique look.

7. eldy macrumors 6502

You should take the $150 or save the favor. The compy works now, if you get it fixed you're throwing that money down the drain as resale value is nil and you risk damaging the unit again. Better yet, donate it and get a tax receipt for MSRP when the time comes to upgrade.