I have a PC that I will need, but just got a rMBP. Can I use my copy of Win on both?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NoHo, Dec 22, 2013.

1. NoHo macrumors 6502

I just got the top end rMBP 15" and wanted to use bootcamp to install Windows. Can I use the serial key I have on my PC to install bootcamp or do I need to buy a completely separate copy of Windows?

And if I can use my previous copy of Windows, will it still be work on my PC if I use it as well on my rMBP?

I've tried searching but any combination of use win on mac and pc comes up with how to use bootcamp and I'm having a hard time finding a specific answer to my question.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

No. Copies of Windows pre-installed on a PC can only be legally installed on that computer - you cannot re-use the serial number. You will need a retail copy of Windows.

3. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

Even if I built the PC myself and Windows wasn't preinstalled on the PC and I bought a retail disc with a serial number for it?

4. Apples555 macrumors regular

You're not supposed to install Windows on two or more computers if you only have one license.

From here.

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

Was it OEM? That gets tied to the hardware and cannot be separated. It it was a Retail (full, not upgrade) version, you cannot run it on more than one machine at a time.

Upgrade versions do not allow you to re-use the older version either.

6. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

It was a full retail.

7. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Your Windows license can only be used on one computer at a time. The only benefit you get from the retail box is that you can transfer it to as many computers as you want, as long as there's only one functional install at a time.

8. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, that makes sense. I just bought that version of Windows less than a year ago so I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy it again once I got a rMBP for work.

Thanks for all your help everyone in this thread.