I have a question about the Mail app on the iPhone and Apple Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Braby, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Braby macrumors member

When I get a email and I check it on my iPhone, is there a way to make it register that I read it on Apple Mail on my iMac or vice versa?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I would love if I could do something about it.

Thanks

2. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

Doesn't it do this already? It works with my gmail.

3. Braby thread starter macrumors member

It will do it if I check my email on the google website, but it doesn't if I check it through Apple Mail.

4. doobi18 macrumors 6502

if you use IMAP, yes it will, if you use POP, no it won't.

read on wikipedia about the differences in detail, but the main difference is that with POP, each client acts individually, taking messages from the server, while IMAP will sync the message status between the server and all clients.

if you use gmail or yahoo or some corporate accounts you can set-up imap, but most home ISPs don't do IMAP (check if that's your boat)

one solution to this problem though is to create a gmail account that automatically collects your POP account and automatically sends via your POP, then use that gmail account on your iphone and your mac, and you will achieve exactly what you want!

hope that helps

doobs

5. doobi18 macrumors 6502

ah. yes. gmail.

just delete your accounts on both phone and mac, and set them up again with IMAP