I have a question. Can an rmbp 15inch use an eGUP to speed up gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 328115208, Oct 26, 2013.

1. 328115208 macrumors newbie

I have a question. Can an rmbp 15inch use an eGUP to speed up gaming?

I'm going to buy the Haswell rmbp 15. What I'm thinking about is to use an eGUP to speed up gaming. And I'd like to use the internal LCD. Can that come true?:confused:

Can't wait for GTA5 of PC version!:eek:

ps: The silverstone t004 maybe the one I want, but I do not know when will it come out.:cool::cool::D

2. chrisvanhorn macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

4. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Pardon my ignorance, but what's eGUP. Or is this a victim of auto-correct.

5. mankymanning macrumors regular

eGPU - external GPU. Graphics card in a box connected by a cable.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

He means an external GPU. A box with a power supple that you can plug into Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt piggybacks PCIe so it does work and it is fast enough for most single GPUs. You usually have to play on an external display. I read that some people managed to convince an optimus driver to throw the image back to the internal display. This probably means that the Intel only MBPs are better suited for eGPU use, though an external display should always work.

7. ahhitsalan macrumors newbie

How would you make an eGPU and how much would it usually cost for a decne GPU? Im quite interested in that. And you arent able to play the game on the MBP screen?

8. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

Boxes can be homemade for about 150$ according to the guys over at tech inferno doing this stuff.

For a "solution", you still have to wait for something commercial to come along with full-width (Silverstone's) but you're probably looking at around ~400$ + the GPU itself. The performance on current gen GPUs would be about 85-95% due to bandwidth constraints with TB2 compared to PCIe 3.0