I have a scratch on the back of my 5s, how can I remove it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by budmonster, Feb 17, 2014.

1. budmonster, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

budmonster macrumors regular

I have a white/grey iPhone 5s and on the back of my phone where the shiny, silver Apple logo is, there's a scratch mark on it. Its really noticeable due to the reflection of the logo. Is there anyway to get the scratch off, it's really driving me nuts? It's turning into an OCD for me, lol.

Also, can anyone recommend a new phone case for me, I currently have an otterbox commuter case. I'm looking for the thinnest/lightest case possible, but one with protection. The otterbox case doesn't cover the apple logo on the back and now it's all scratched up. I want to enjoy the beauty of the 5s, I don't want to be so ugly. I do have a Zagg screen protector on my phone for the front, is there a protector for the back and sides? Maybe I just cover the entires phone and get a thin clear case?

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I'm sorry but as far as I know you can't fix your apple logo. But if you want an amazing case I would say to get the apple case

----------

I'm sorry but as far as I know you can't fix your apple logo. But if you want an amazing case I would say to get the apple case
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MF041LL/A/iphone-5s-case-brown?fnode=47

3. blackhand1001, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Honestly just buy another case. You really should have one anyway. I am not a fan on the otterboxes. I like the diztronic tpu cases they sell on amazon. They are usually pretty cheap as well and don't add a lot of heft. I have always hated cases that have the circle around the apple logo anyway. It looks tacky. I have bought cases from this company for many phones and have always been very impressed with them. Great protection, feels great in the hand, looks good, and an excellent price.

http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Matte-Black-Flexible-iPhone/dp/B008SFI9WU

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Sorry it says the same thig twice there my when I went to go get the link my slow iphone 4 was being very unresponsive and I hit the submit button and then hit the stop loading thing and thought it didn't go but it did

5. s-hatland macrumors regular

s-hatland

i'm quite fond of the Acase Superleggeras:

http://www.amazon.com/Acase-iPhone-...id=1392693631&sr=8-5&keywords=acase+iphone+5s

simple, sleek with a bulkiness to protection ratio i consider to be right in the sweet spot. it also plugs the headphone jack and lightning connector, which can be annoying at first, but once you get used to it i like knowing my innards aren't filling up with lint.

there's a few colors to choose from too. mine doesn't have the "Acase" logo on the back, it's just blank, these must be revised models.

6. scbond macrumors 6502

The only genuine way to get rid of a scratch is to polish it out. Not really going to be possible in this situation I'm afraid.

7. DoreeBehair macrumors newbie

@schbond: can you tell us more about this polishing thing? In which situations does this apply (faint scratches, etc?)

8. DoreeBehair macrumors newbie

I talked with a friend and they recommended 1000-grit sandpaper....

----------

Actually - McGuire Scratch remover for cars, to be specific! hope this helps

9. budmonster thread starter macrumors regular

So Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 would actually work on my iPhone? I thought this might be a joke lol? What about something like this? The scratch is on the Apple logo below.

[​IMG]

10. scbond macrumors 6502

It's not a "thing" as in some crafty unknown technique...polishing is how a shine is usually applied to most surfaces. For example, the older iPods with a chrome finish start out as normal finishes on the metal before being polished to a high shine.

Polishing is the only proper way of reducing a scratch but we're talking about large surface areas here. Unless you have a tiny applicator and all the time in the world then it isn't going to happen on a tiny area on the back of a small device such as an iPhone...plus getting the right finish will be near impossible yourself.

Personally, the best option in this case is prevention.