I have a tiny .mov file that causes denial of service on Mac OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mike Richardson, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Mike Richardson macrumors member

Mike Richardson

The circle effect on my avatar is non-consensual
    Basically any process that uses the new video frameworks (the QuickTime X ones, not QuickTime 7) - if they touch this video at all, they crash immediately.

Mac OS only. iOS is exempt.

I had my friend send me the video in a message from his phone to my Mac - I could no longer open Messages.app, because as soon as it loaded his message with that video, it crashed.

It will cause Safari tabs to crash over and over again as they keep reattempting to load it.

It crashes QuickLook immediately.

It's about 22 KB and I came across it 100% purely accidentally. It contains only audio.

QuickTime 7 Player has absolutely no problem at all playing the file.

Not sure what to do with it.

2. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

I'd file a bug report with Apple, sending them the file or making it available to them. I'd also send the file compressed into a zip archive, so someone who receives it doesn't immediately crash.

Apple's Bug Reporter:
    https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

It requires you to "register as a developer", which basically just means you fill out a bit of registration info (if you have an Apple ID, Apple already knows all the info anyway). There's no cost for doing this registration, and I know several people who are "registered as Apple developers" solely so they can submit bug reports.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"Not sure what to do with it."

If it was me, I'd DELETE IT.
    Pronto... ;)

4. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Possibly copy it onto an external device, remove the device. They might need or want the tiny .mov.