I have a ton of duplicates with the number 1 next to filename. How do I mass rename?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iHavequestions, Sep 24, 2014.

1. iHavequestions macrumors regular

...and eliminate the "1" off the filename? My iTunes has a ton of those exclamation points because for some reason, my files are all duplicates of another file and the original file is not in the correct destination. The best way for me to fix the exclamations is to rename these so I get rid of the "1" in the filename.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The exclamation point indicates the underlying file cannot be found. It has nothing to do with duplicates. Just select the files with exclamation points and delete them from your library. Then add your music to the library again. iTunes will only add those songs that do not already appear in your library. It won't make duplicates.

3. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't that mean I have to recreate all my playlists though? Is there way of fixing the exclamation files and keeping them in tact?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It may be possible. Go to DougScripts.com and search for "missing files". There are a few scripts that may prove useful, but not necessarily 100% effective.

5. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

I did it! Its fixed now but the exclamation points are still there for the files that are fixed. Now to get rid of them now? I want to see the ones that are actually not fixed by having the correct ones not show the exclamation.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If they're fixed, the exclamation points should be gone. Try quitting and restarting iTunes.