I Have a Whole Bunch of Questions on Upgrading

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nickprete11, Apr 9, 2013.

1. nickprete11 macrumors regular

Hey everyone! I am desperate for a answer for all these questions. I guess you can say that I am being obsessive, but I like always having the latest model of Apple products. I sold my iPad 3 for the 4, and eventually the 4 for the mini, because I loved the form factor. Eventually I sold the my iPhone 4s for the 5, and so on. I am faced with another dilemma. I have a base MacBook Air 13". Usually the new models come out in June. I plan on upgrading my current MacBook Air to that new model and selling my old model. How much do you think my current model could be worth? I always keep my products in excellent condition and have the box. I also always sell my iPhone for the latest model. I currently have no contract, since I buy most of my phones on eBay. What do you think the best bet for iPhones is? Should I continue to buy unlocked? When do you think I am being a little ridiculous on upgrading? What is your upgrade schedule? Thanks :D

2. RedCroissant Suspended

First of all, your upgrade schedule is yours and since you're funding the upgrades with the sales of your "obsoletes", it doesn't really matter what everyone else thinks. I however, only upgrade when my current machine is not able to perform the tasks that I need it to and I can afford to upgrade. As of right now, I cannot upgrade from my iBook G4 and luckily, it does everything I need it to. <--Yay.

If your base MBA 13" is the 1.8GHz i5 with 4GB RAM, then look at Apple's refurb price because they have set it at $999. Since yours will most likely not come with AC and will not be in the condition that the refurb would be in, then I would be confident in asking $850-$900 for it as long as you still have the original box/packaging/accessories.

The iPhone 5 unlocked(since it is the 16GB model) should be reasonably priced at $500. I sold my 4S last month unlocked for $350, so I think my pricing is appropriate for your device. Always buy unlocked. Once I get out of this financial spin of mine, I will NEVER buy a locked phone again.