I have a zip disk of files created on a PowerPC Mac (~1997). What's the best way to transfer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tymbo, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Tymbo macrumors regular

I suppose I need to buy a zip drive, but how can I connect a zip drive to today's Macs? What would I need, exactly? Its contents are likely Microsoft 1997 word files.

Is there an alternative, cheaper method?

2. kohlson, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

kohlson macrumors 6502a

You will need a zip drive, someway to connect it (they were either parallel or scsi interface) and some program to open it. You might be better off trying to fond a "service bureau" that has this setup already and can do the conversion to a USB stick or something.

[edit] some are available in USB 1.1. That may help with the first part of the challenge!

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

You can still find old ZIP 100 drives on eBay, for not much money. Be sure to get one that has a USB connection, and NOT an "SCSI" connection!

The only possible problem might be having the drive mount on the desktop with a new version of the MacOS for "lack of a driver". But I believe this can be "worked around" by putting the ZIP disk into the drive, then restarting the Mac (ZIP disks have an "on-disk" driver that should load during boot time, allowing the disk to mount on the desktop).

As kohlson mentions above, another way might be to take the old ZIP disk to someplace that might still maintain a working ZIP drive.
    Perhaps an "independent computer shop" that still services Macs might have an old Mac with a ZIP drive in it, and "copy over" the files to a USB drive (for a small fee).