I have an at&t iPhone 3G, but no at&t service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mike2128, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

If I were to set this up as a new line, would I have to sign a contract? And would doing so restrict me from purchasing an iPhone 4 for any length of time?

Just curious.

2. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

You want to add a line? You would have to sign a two year contract

3. Mike2128 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, new service altogether with my own provided equipment.

4. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Then you can sign up without a contract. However, if you get an iPhone 4, then you will need to sign a contract.

5. Mike2128 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, I knew this. I was just wondering if activating the 3G would in any way hinder a future 4 purchase. I know in the past there was no way to activate iPhones without contract and I didn't know what at&t's policy was with regards to upgrades and customer-provided equipment.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Wrong, entirely. You can easily buy an iPhone 4 non-contract.

You can purchase a SIM card from AT&T and sign up for a plan, granted you will need to commit to data.

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I also have my own unlocked iPhone 3G (not purchased through at&t). You can do whatever you'd like in terms of service. As mentioned in previous threads, you don't need to sign a contract. Also, you can choose one of at&t (or T-mobile) pre-paid services, which are really inexpensive. It all depends on your usage pattern. Whatever you do with your own iPhone 3G will have absolutely no impact on your potential future purchase of an iPhone 4.