I have an iMac at work, but nothing portable or at home for evenings + weekends

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by unregbaron, Mar 24, 2015.

1. unregbaron macrumors regular

I used to have a white Macbook which died, since then I have my iMac at work which is great, using Adobe CC a lot of the time for for P'shop, Illustrator, some ID (eg no video editing currently but this may change). Mostly work in Wordpress + email.

My question is I miss not being able to work on my own creative projects in evenings and weekends (making new image-based things and uploading past work to my squarespace website which is going to soon have products for sale). I hate coming in to the office on weekends or staying late at work to do stuff and I think it's not healthy for my mind to always be there.

I could afford to get something to resolve this - is the new MBP 13 what I should get? I like the idea of the new MB, being fanless, and I won't use many of the MBP ports if any.

The only other thoughts were MBA but I think I'd regret not getting retina screen. Or iPad air + keyboard but that could be difficult to be productive on.

Whichever solution I got, it would be something to earn money from so increased productivity would be how I would justify it.

Past few weeks I've been thinking if only the new MB was available to buy now I would get it and be so happy.

Grateful for any thoughts...

----------

Or - I could stop renting my desk, moving everything to my flat and work from home. Save money on the desk and also have no need to buy a portable. Kind of depressing though.

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I personally dont care for the new macbook. they need to bump up the specs if they want my money. Im thinking a 13 inch mbp would be fine for you if you arent doing anything too demanding.

3. leventozler macrumors 6502

MBP 13 and Air are not IPS. I would wait for performance reviews of MB, if it's acceptable, 8gb ram and ssd on MB beat 4gb ram and 5400rpm hard disk on MBP.

4. unregbaron thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - I really think it will be a MBP 13 but I will try to wait until the 10th for the new MB.

5. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

11 or the 13 inch Air is much more versatile compared to the new MB. If you are willing to sacrifice connectivity and power for the sake of the retina display, then get the new MB.

I cannot see myself giving up my 11" Air yet. Perhaps after the 2nd or 3rd generation of the MB, I'll trade my Air, but not as it is.

6. unregbaron thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - I think that's what it is, I don't need usb, SD card or anything else as much as I want a highly portable retina. Apparently a new Hub is in the works for the macbooks anyway.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

rMBP

Get the new 13 inch retina.... Far better for creative and GPU intensive apps than the MB, and if creative is what you do the screen real estate will be a huge bonus.

8. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

There will be all sorts of usb-c hubs on the market before you know. For normal use, the power of the CPU will probably be sufficient as well. In your case, you don't have much to worry.

However, I use all the usb ports that I have (2) all the time, as well as the Thunderbolt port, and I'm not willing to give up that flexibility yet.

9. theluggage macrumors 68030

Well, we won't really know until benchmarks start coming out, but the new MacBook probably isn't going to be the "go to" machine for graphics and design work.

Go and have a look at a Retina Macbook Pro 13" - it is not a bulky machine!

10. unregbaron thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks re: rMBP 13 but I don't like the idea of fans and the ports I'll never use. It feels like an older machine but I take your point, it may be the more adult choice.

The new Macbook is also cheaper by $150 if both machines have 256gb.

11. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

This actually sounds like a good idea. Save time and money. You save the time to travel between home and office each day and the cost of the rent and mb.

12. unregbaron thread starter macrumors regular

I would have to get good at self-discipline so i didn't go stir-crazy, e.g. morning runs.

Might also not look too good for my business to have a home address.

13. iScared macrumors member

iScared

I would recommend Macbook Air or Macbook Pro (I read the reviews on Macbook and they are pretty bad)...The difference is portability and usability. The Macbook Air is great for portability (it's light and not bulky at all), however, the Macbook Pro has a CD slot as well as more specs and is bigger. Personally, I would think that for your graphics needs, I probably would go with bigger (Macbook Pro) so you're not straining your eyes, but it depends on what your other needs are.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You aren't really suggesting....

....he buy the fat heavy 2012 overpriced cMBP with HD400 graphics, over the thin, light, superfast, ssd USB 3, Thunderbolt 2, AC wireless toting retina screened rMBP with Iris 6100 graphics in 2015 are you??

15. gooser macrumors 6502

would you do the same thing at home as you do at work using the macbook's processor or would you be signing into the g4 at work as a dumb terminal?