I have an in-store reservation, but am not the primary AT&T account holder...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrl0902, Jun 18, 2010.

1. mrl0902 macrumors newbie

My AT&T account is in my father's name. I have a reservation with the Apple store for in-store pick up. I'm 21 years old and have the same last name as my father.

Based on previous experience or information from an apple employee, will I be able to pick up my reserved iphone without my father's presence?

2. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

You will need to be authorized under your father's name to renew 2 year contract when you pick up your iPhone.

3. kolture1 macrumors newbie

i just went to my local apple store and they told me that if you are upgrading your contract then only the authorized person can be there, knowing the SS# of the primary account holder. but if you are adding a new line then the primary account holder needs to be there.

4. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

U IS SOL :eek:

You may be able to pending on the rep and how aware they are of there own rules. I thought as long as you were on the account with a valid license and the Account holder social then you SHOULD be good

5. fuzion macrumors 6502

I had this problem when I bought my 3G.. Here's a rundown:

Tried to buy the phone, wasn't an authorized user or account holder
    I went outside, I called AT&T, added myself as an authorized user
    Went back in to Apple, tried to buy the phone, no, not authorized.
    I have the social, all info, etc. Nope. Can't do it, Primary account holder only.
    Call AT&T again. Put the apple employee on the phone so she could tell him, YES I can buy the iPhone, and he told her NO, I can't.

Ended up calling the other half who met me at Apple so I could buy the phone.

Even now per the AT&T site an authorized user on the account is permitted to buy the phone........... unless the Apple employee tells you no, apparently.

6. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

What if you're buying the phone at the full price?

7. mayakukla macrumors regular

I called my local apple store today after this very issue.

They said as long as I have all the security info for the primary and can show i am on the account it will be no problem.

8. eldervovichka macrumors regular

Your dad can add you through AT&T.com as a signer on the account. When I look at my account the other signer is my wife and it has an add button for more signers. Just ask him to add you. Then after you get your phone just have him take you off. Not to hard. I hope it works out for you!

Jeff

9. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

My dad and I tried to get iPhone 3GSs last year at an Apple store (1.5 hours from our house), but my mom was the account holder. She had to be there to allow my dad and I to switch contracts. Even though she authorized it through video chat.. phone call.. faxxing her drivers license.. and they also had my dad, mom, and AT&T on 3 way call, Apple refused to give us a phone. My mom ended up driving 1.5 hours to show up in person and say "I agree" even though my dad is the one that pays the bills......................................................... .................................................................................................