I have an Ipad 2 but still like the look of Kindle anybody else?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Nov 19, 2011.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I've got an Ipad 2 don't like the look of the new Kindle tablet but the Kindle ereader still appeals to me. Even though I have the Ipad 2 it still looks cool as a ereader only. I do read the odd book on the Ipad but it's a bit lighter and the screen seems more like a book.

Anybody else like the look of the Kindle? (Not saying I'd buy one though owning an Ipad 2)..surprised Apple don't up the advertising for the Ipad 2 a proper ereader though.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I ordered a kindle touch for my wife as an ereader since the iPad sucks for reading outside.

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Kindle touch's E ink Display is the best in class. No glare... No eye strain...

1-2 months of battery life

79 dollars is more than enough to justify the purchase.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I plan on getting an eBook reader eventually, but not a Kindle. I don't like how it's effectively locked down to one ebook store and doesn't even support ePub.

5. skillz1318 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I love my kindle keyboard and iPad 2. Always reading off kindle, great battery, great screen.

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Check out the Ars Technica review.

In particular, the photo of the KF sitting on top of the iPad 2 (fourth image)

That says it all.

7. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I have 2 Kindles and couldn't live without them. Reading an actual book on the iPad is such a terrible, terrible idea. At $79 there's no reason to not have a Kindle. Your eyes will thank you.

8. mooseknuckles macrumors member

I have a Kindle DX that I use for reading. iPad 2 for everything else. Get a Kindle!

9. urkel macrumors 68030

Sorry for spamming this photo that I just used in another thread, but IF your primary usage is media consumption then the effects of the different aspect ratios can't be ignored.

[​IMG]

The Fire is tailored for video so you get the full image no crop/no zoom. But with the iPad you're only getting a much larger device with only a slightly larger screen area. Obviously the iPad CAN do more but most people dont really need it to.

BTW. My opinion is that both of these devices are inferior for books compared to the e-ink displays. So hopefully this movement towards color doesn't kill the e-ink people from evolving.

10. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Guys, the OP specifically stated that he's not interested in the Kindle Fire. He's asking about the e-ink Kindle devices.

...which are awesome. Buy one!

11. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Tim Cook needs to get Apple to make a simple e-ink 7" tablet. I wouldn't mind having both an iPad and an Apple e-ink reader. He can treat it like Apple TV and say it's just an experiment.

12. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Maybe. Problem is, I'm already heavily invested in Amazon's ecosystem with many (many!) e-books purchased from them. I wouldn't want to switch over to iBooks unless there was some way for me to transfer my Amazon purchases, and it's unlikely that Amazon would ever allow that. It's the same situation with Android phones; even if a good one actually came out (lol) I probably wouldn't switch since I've already spent hundreds of dollars on Apple's AppStore.

Now, if Apple made an e-reader that supported apps (like, say, Kindle) then I'd be all over it.

13. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Just like the Kindle app is on the iPhone, I'm sure they would make it available on an Apple e-reader. And Amazon sells a ton of Apple products.

14. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

They don't, however, have a Kindle app for the Barnes & Noble Nook since it is a direct competitor to them. Having a Kindle app on a competing dedicated e-reader would canibalize Kindle sales. Hopefully they'd do it, but I doubt it, and I'd never consider buying an Apple e-reader unless they did.

15. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Even better, since Jobs said something about wanting to do more with textbooks, would be an Apple version of the Kindle DX.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I could not agree more. I have what is for me, the perfect combination in the tablet sector. An iPad 2 for the web & email. The Kindle for the finest ebook reading experience on the planet. These two are must haves for me. The E-Ink display is simply ideal.

17. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

You obviously have no clue about aspect ratios. Sure, Tv shows are in 16:9 ratio but movies are in several different ratios. Even a 16:9 screen will not be without black bars at some point. Get over it.

18. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I'd say that "slightly larger screen" is a gross mischaracterization of the facts. If all you want to do is view videos or read ebooks, then the size difference isn't as important. But for browsing the web or viewing/creating documents, the iPad screen size makes a vast difference.

19. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I totally see where you're coming from. I don't have an iPad anymore, but when I did, I still wanted a Kindle for the E-ink display.

Thin as a pencil, long battery life, doesn't hurt your eyes, shows up in the sun... It is THE supreme reading device. The iPad's great for everything else, but the Kindle what you want if you actually do a lot of reading.

If you were talking about the Kindle Fire though... Well, then I'd completely disagree. But I'm talking about the Kindle Touch

20. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I really love my combination of having an iPad 2 and a Nook Touch. Kindle Touches are fine too, I'm sure. Most comparison reviews seem to say that it comes down to whatever store's ecosystem you prefer. I just prefer the nook because of the feel of it, it supports epub, and its the same price as the Kindle's ad-supported model but without the ads. (and you may be able to hack a nook to support the Kindle store, but I can't vouch for that.)

21. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I have an original iPad and have been using it to read books via the Kindle App but found that it is so heavy to hold for long periods and a strain on the eyes, so I bought a Kindle to try them out now that they are only £89. Really glad I did as they are just fantastic as an ereader. Perfect size and weight and the e-ink display is gorgeous. A mutch better reading experience and I can take it places where I wouldn't necessarily want to get my iPad out.

22. urkel macrumors 68030

Jeez. Who said every movie and tv show have a 16:9 aspect ratio. The point was that the viewable screen area isn't that big of a difference due to the different aspect ratios (unless you're talking about 4:3 classic shows where the iPad screen would be better suited).

So if anyone is to "get over it" then it's the foolish people who get so angry over everything for no reason.

Have a good day and try not to kick any puppies.

23. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

I like the Kindle Keyboard form factor... Would like to see something like that as an all-up tablet.

Why do people think a touch-screen keyboard is the end-all be-all solution? Give me a mechanical keyboard every time... My favorite PDA of all time was the Palm T/C.

Apple was smart to go for the 4:3 screen. A 7" tablet with that display ratio would be great. 16:9? Not so great.

24. matt90036 macrumors regular

yeah I like the kindle fire form factor and I really do like amazon. perhaps if there is a 7 inch iPad or amazon app store matures...

25. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Well, really, it's "same in class" since all the others use the same exact display - the Nook Simple Touch, the Kobo Touch, etc. They all use the Pearl E-ink screen.