I have an iPhone 1G - is it worth paying £400 to upgrade to the 3GS? Or shall I wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFanboy, Aug 31, 2009.

1. iFanboy Guest

As the title says really.

Bought an iPhone 1G not long after it came out. Still in mint condition.

A 3GS costs £400 here in the UK, so that's like what, $900 in American money?

Is it worth the upgrade, or am I better off waiting until next summer when Apple announce their new iPhones with much better cameras etc....?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

$652.48, actually.

Is that worth it? Uhm...you tell me?

3. iFanboy thread starter Guest

Well, I can't since i've never even held a 3GS.

It's like asking someone to decide whether Snow Leopard is worth the upgrade without them even seeing it first.

All I have knowledge of is the iPhone 2G. For all I know the 3GS is a mildly faster version of that with a marginally better camera - in which case I may as well keep my money. However, it could be a million times faster, with far better battery life, and a much much better camera - in which case I just might upgrade.

See where i'm coming from?

4. johnntd macrumors member

Every penny

I think you should upgrade it as soon as you can. If you love the 2G, you will love the 3GS a thousand times more.

regards,
    JD

5. ukcolinr macrumors regular

I guess that's down to your own personal preference???

Are you missing any of the updated features of the 3GS, do you use the Internet a lot and could benefit with the increased 3G speed? Look at the new features on the newer handsets and see if you'd benefit from them?

You're still looking at almost 10months before we're likely to see another iPhone release I assume (though who knows?) Can you wait that long for an update?

For the benefit of other responding though, iPhone 3GS 16GB on Pay as you Go (PrePay) in the UK is £440.40 which is $717.18US, quite a drop from $900 but still a lot of money for a phone!

6. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

its alot faster, and the camera, especially video's are extremly good. And if you have been on edge the 3g will make it worth upgrading alone

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Do you get 3G signal where you live and you don't have wifi most of the day?

Then it's worth it to upgrade now.

If not, wait until next year to upgrade.

8. matttye macrumors 601

When you make your decision bear in mind you will get the benefits of the iPhone 3G as well, like GPS, better sound quality, etc.

9. jamaggic macrumors member

depends

if ur firxt gen is unlocked or at least running 3.01, why bother,,, in my experience most of the time when I need it theres free wifi available, and if not I really dont think edge is too slow unless u are heavy user. My unlocked first gen is just as useful as a 3gs except of course for the video. Going to Italy in the spring and was thinking of getting an factory unlocked to bring but found out t-mobile doesn't support the 3G frequency of iphone here in the US and since I would never sign up with att,,, its out of the question.

10. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

why is the 3G S so expensive there? it's only $200 in America

11. t0mm macrumors regular

That's on Pay as you go.. No contract at all..

My 32GB iPhone 3G S cost me
    $160 USD

I get
    1200 minutes
    500 sms (and can use 4SMS as 1 MMS as we have MMS here:cool:)
    unlimited internet..

for about $40 a month.

12. applephanatic macrumors member

If you can wait till the iPhone 6 (iPhone 5?) then I'd say wait. If you do not want to upgrade to the new iPhone 6 then you will be able to buy the iPhone 4 or even 4S at a reduced price.

13. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Do you realize you pulled up a thread from 2009 that's talking about the 3GS :rolleyes:?

14. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I'm sure OP has iPhone 4 or 4S by now. You should look at the post date more carefully. ;)

15. applephanatic macrumors member

WOW my bad... long night and little sleep makes this guy and idiot!:D