I have an iPhone 6+, If i buy an iPod and put my Apple ID on it, will it receive messages from....

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Lifetimechaldo, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Lifetimechaldo macrumors member

the iPhone? I may buy an iPod for my little sister. If i do i will prob use the same Apple ID as the one I use for my iPhone. If i do this, will messages i send a receive using my iPhone also be sent and received from the iPod? If so, will my iPhone alert me that the iPod has been added?

2. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

Yes or no. It depends how you set it up. You can use your same Apple ID for some things but not others. It's your choice. To use it for messaging you'll have to separately log in to iMessage with the ID. You can just log into the App Store for purchases though.

3. Lifetimechaldo thread starter macrumors member

So if i log into iMessage on the iPod, using my iPhone 6+ apple ID, the iMessages will go to both devices? or do i have to change a setting on my iPhone as well?

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Why don't you create Apple ID for your sister?

5. xero9 macrumors 6502a

If I'm not mistaken, all iMessages would go to the iPod in that case (assuming you're signed in to Messages using your Apple ID). Regular SMS would not unless you explicitly enabled it on your iPhone.

As matrix07 said, why not just create an Apple ID for your sister? With family sharing, there really isn't any reason not to..

6. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

Yes, if you log into iMessage on the iPod both devices will receive all messages and replies, as long as both have connectivity. When you first do it you'll get a message on your iPhone. I second the other two posters. You can create an Apple ID separately for your sister. Then she can have her own iCloud, iMessages, etc ID. Then if you want her to have access to your purchased apps, movies, etc. you can either let her use yours for App Store, iTunes etc. or you can do family sharing. iOS lets you log into all of those things with different ID's for different services on one device. It's quite awesome.

7. odditie macrumors 6502

Here's what I would do, login to iMessage under the same Apple ID like you want, but have one of the devices (iPod probably) have one of the e-mail addresses associated with the ID as its only source for iMessages (set under settings) and then have your phone set as receiving iMessages from your phone number and any other e-mail addresses you have.

Then if you send a message to the specific e-mail address it should go thru to just the iPod and your other iMessages will not come into the iPod.