iPhone XR I have an iPhone XS Max but bought an XR today.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ffosse, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I find that I prefer having 2 phones and my Honor 10 wasn't cutting it as a secondary device - too many bugs and woeful battery life.

So I found myself getting a taxi to the Apple Store today and bought a white XR with 128GB of space. It's a lot of money (twice what the Honor 10 cost) but I'm sure I'll find it much more useful as a secondary device.

Set-up was easy and so far I can't see it being any slower than my Max. The display is good too. Holding it at a reasonable distance, everything is pin sharp. That's probably because it has the same ppi as my old 8 had. The screen actually feels small coming from a Max but is bigger than the 5.8" of the Honor.

Now all I have to do is sell or hand down the Honor to one of my nieces. It's the phantom green one but I never really took to it. I'll use the XR much like I did the Honor 10 - podcasts, ebooks and music. I found the £50 increase to 128GB from 64 quite reasonable but it's still a lot of money for a secondary device. Still, I'm expecting good battery life. No matter how I configured the android device I couldn't stop it draining the battery quickly.

2. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Is rather have two iPhones than an iPhone and an android phone. There are a lot of good android phones out but my entire workflow revolves around the Apple ecosystem so carrying an android phone always feels like I’m duplicating tasks as a lot of things don’t transfer across from android to iOS.

3. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

That's right, and I'm pretty much all-in for Apple with my other devices too. The Honor stuck out like a sore thumb. It was £400 at launch in June and can be had for nearer £300 now but I would say, based on my time with the device, that it's not worth that. Of course there are no iPhones to compare with at that price.

I was a little miffed at Apple's not making a leather case for the XR but I bought a silicone case with adequate protection, Otterbox, I think.

4. The Oak macrumors regular

Ah ... the XS Max does support two lines now via eSIM ... was the XR really needed?

5. Ffosse, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018

Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

Of course the XR isn't needed; it's a luxury item.

Making phone calls isn't even in the top ten of things I do with my iPhone, to the extent that I haven't gotten round to putting a sim in the XR yet. I probably will tomorrow.

One thing is certain: I'll keep the XR for at least a year which I couldn't say about any of the android phones I've had (Galaxy S8, Oneplus 3t etc.) over the years. iPhones look and feel premium and I really don't like android; it will get the job done but there is the question of ongoing support and general flaws I've found in each android I've owned. Lesson learned.

I could have kept my iPhone 8, but sold it after a years ownership to part fund the XS Max. I also had the X for 10 months. So I've gone from having the X, the 8, to having the XS Max and the XR. I'll stop there and see what Apple reveals next September. I sure do appreciate the increase in screen sizes as I'm over 50 now.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I’ve tried having too many Samsung phones over the last few years, trying to use them as secondary/back up phones but like you said they all just stuck out because I have a lot of other Apple devices. In the end it’s like I have to make such an effort to use the android phone and when I can’t be bothered anymore it ends up in a drawer for a few months until I get round to selling it.

7. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

Plus you have to sell them pretty quickly as they depreciate so fast.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2018 ---
    I'm actually thinking of going naked with the XR to appreciate that brilliant white. I was undecided at the store but got to see all the colours. Yellow and blue were nice as was the red, but I didn't like the coral as much. In the end, I'm happy with the white.

8. doboy macrumors 68020

Yeah, I was torn between yellow and white, but since I've had a white phone with 3GS I went with yellow for something totally different.