I have an .iso DVD file I want to watch..here is my question

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iBought, Feb 2, 2011.

1. iBought macrumors member

I know all about handbrake..etc...what I was wondering if there is a way to keep the menus..etc in a DVD because the one I have is more interactive and I'd like to use the menus.

Is this possible?

2. X2thaP macrumors member

As far as I know: Menu's NO (Chapters YES).
    So for an interactive DVD this is a no go.

Greetz

3. iBought thread starter macrumors member

I wonder if I can get away with Chapters then.

this is basically a DVD based on video lessons. So if you load it, there are a few menu items that will take you to different clips in the DVD. I just want to be able to access those clips, and I bet they are basically chapters. I would not have an issue skipping from chapter to chapter if you know how to do that.

4. X2thaP, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

X2thaP macrumors member

Ah yeah, those should be 'links' to chapters in the menu, that's the only way I can imagine a DVD can take you directly to a certain clip.

It's pretty easy, just open up your .iso in HandBrake, you will see that it has selected title #X and chapters #X to #X in that title.
    Make sure you have all the chapters you need(*)(**). HandBrake will show you the duration of the selected title so this might tell you all you need to know.
    Then in an option a bit lower (Video - Audio - Subtitles - Advanced - Chapters) select Chapters and make sure to select the "Create chapter markers" option. You can also name your chapters here(***).

Now after converting your .iso to an iPad movie with chapters, you will be able to select a chapter both when selecting the movie in the Videos app and whilst playing the movie as well. !!Make sure you file is of the MOVIE type in iTunes to be able to use chapter selection, TV SHOW and MUSIC VIDEO don't have this option!!

You should be just fine now.

Here's some extra info (hopefully it won't make things more complicated than they are, which they aren't):
    (*) You can open up your .iso in VLC for example and play your movie there to see which title/chapters you need.
    (*) It is possible you will need to convert multiple titles seperately. It depends on the structure of the DVD.
    --> A DVD contains a VIDEO_TS (and AUDIO_TS) folder, in this folder you will see the .ifo, .bup and .vob files. You will have one set of VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.BUP and VIDEO_TS.VOB files and the rest will be named VTS_01_0, VTS_01_1,... and so on (each time an .ifo, .bup and .vob file). Now, normally you can see by the size of the VTS_X_X.VOB files which one will be the main movie, usually the largest files (a couple of 1GB files for example). Sometimes, however, you can have multiple bigger files, VTS_01_X and VTS_02_X and so on.
    In the normal case, you will only have to convert ONE title, which should contain all the chapters you need (unless there are 'extras'), in the second case you will need to convert multiple titles.
    (***) Maybe your .iso has the chapter names in the menu, so play it in VLC and then you can take the names from there.