I have an unlimited data plan from AT&T should I be entitled to thether my phone.....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rrichar, Aug 16, 2010.

1. rrichar macrumors newbie

I have an unlimited data plan from AT&T should I be entitled to tether my phone. Just bought an Iphone 4 which is the third one I have had. It did not come which the Tethering option enabled. In the past I have just jailbroken it and just installed PDANET through Cydia. I don't plan on jailbreaking it so I just wanted to know if I have the right to and how do I go about it.

2. jgayman macrumors member

Regardless of your plan, AT&T has chosen to charge a $20 monthly fee simply to enable the tethering option. IMHO, this fee is ridiculous as it costs the same as the 2GB data plan yet it doesn't include a single extra MB.

3. rrichar thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to ask on my way out of the store. I didn't want to call over the store to ask them this question. i DL over 5 GIG's a month. I wasn't planning on jailbreaking it.

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

You can't add the AT&T tethering on the unlimited plan.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you want to do it sans jailbreak, you'll have to pay for the 2GB plan and the $20 tethering fee/month. No ifs, ands or buts.

6. jgayman macrumors member

Really? Have they ever charged you any overage fees? AT&T's unlimited plan, like Verizon, isn't really unlimited. It's capped at 5GB/month.

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

No it's not.

8. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

You have the right to, but the fee is completely outrageous. Especially since most people will go over the bandwidth they allow in a few days.

Just jailbreak it. I have MyWi, and I'm actually using it as I type this. It's great. MyWi costs $19.99; I'd rather have a 20 dollar one time fee for unlimited data (I was lucky and got the unlimited data plan while they had it) then pay 20 per MONTH for limited data. It makes more sense to jailbreak. Seriously.