I have an unlocked iphone,am a mac addict but agree 100 per cent with this article

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theliksta, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

OK, source? And can you break up the text a bit, its impossible to read.

2. helo macrumors member

that article is (a) factually wrong and (b) written like a spoilt child

upwards of £1200? how's that then? 269+(18x35) = ?

3. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

4. kwfl macrumors 6502

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Wazzock is quite frankly an amazing word.

This makes you get 50million kudos!

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

8. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Oh no, I know what it means, I've just not heard it in an age. It's quite refreshing.

9. amd4me macrumors 6502

Frigging great read.
    I was laughing a little TOO hard:D

10. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I think the writer of this misinformed and silly article is a Wazzock.
    Sounds like it was written by a little kid. (sorry to be insulting to youngsters who on a whole could actually do a better job than this writer who is obviously trying to collect readers)

11. helo macrumors member

all this boo-hooing about the iPhone is bizarre...no-one seems to care that Jaguars are more expensive than Ford Focuses, yet they do remarkably similar things, and at similar speeds!

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

to me the read is pretty funny. I think it is a satire and if you treat it as such it is not so bad.

If you do not know what a satire is go read "A Modest proposal" to me this is just a satire pointing out the problems with the iPhone. It gets more people attention. Now if they can only see the satire in it.

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

What I find incredibly annoying is the continual referral to the "total cost of ownership" of the iPhone. The only thing you are paying for extra to any phone on a monthly contract is the £269.00 purchase price: If you have a free phone from O2 on a £55.00 a month contract it costs you exactly £269.00 less than an iPhone over 18 months, or just under £15 a month. Making out the iPhone is the only phone that has a recurring cost is very poor journalism!

14. John T macrumors 68020

John T

All the iPhone/Apple bashers.... Sounds like a large dose of sour grapes to me :)

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

16. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

£55 over 18 months is a top end contract... you're playing with figures a bit. Most people won't be paying nearly that much. For a start smart purchasers get 12 month contracts.

Average TCO for a smartphone is of the order of £400-£500.. even from O2, and they're hardly the cheapest. If you go to a site like dialaphone they list the TCO in the price (and anyone with any sense calculates it before buying a phone).

17. Project macrumors 68020

First smart phone I saw on the O2 website. Blackberry Curve. Online 25

Price of phone = £60
    £25 a month for 18 months = £450
    £10 a month for unlimited email = £180

TCO = £690

Next up, the N95 w/8GB memory card

Price of phone = £200
    £25 a month for 18 months = £450
    Unlimited data = £7.50 a month for 18 months = £135

TCO = £785

Now you could probably find these cheaper elsewhere, but on the O2 site these are the costs.

18. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

O2 are not charging that. You picked one of the most expensive...

O2 400, 12 months, £35 per month, Free N95, Total cost £420.

O2 iPhone, 18 months, £35 per month, £249 for phone, Total cost £879

Big difference.. that's why a lot of people prefer to unlock the iphone.. it's a way to get the cost down.

The big point is that you *can* shop around and find the cheapest tariff. Apple don't want us to do that.

19. Project macrumors 68020

You are not getting that from the O2 website. Go ahead and take a look. I picked the cheapest contract plan. Thats what my point was, not that there is a choice to buy elsewhere.

There are also a few flaws in your argument.

1. The N95 you are quoting from Dialaphone does not come with 8GB of storage. Add £80

2. The N95 you are quoting from Dialaphone does not come with a data plan. Add £100.

So the TCO for yours on a like for like basis is £600 over 12 months, which is £50 a month.

20. Daeve macrumors member

(£55 x 18) + 269 = £1259 unfortunately the £55 tariff gives about the same free minutes and texts as a standard £30-35 tariff does on other phones (minus the internet bit of course) - so for example for me I'd need the minutes and texts the £55 tariff gives me to come close to what I get for £30 now and actually need and use.

Of course the article is written like a spoilt child - it's written in humour - and totally exaggerates its case - but fundamentally it has some truth - it is expensive for what it is unless you use the £35 tariff but then you must hardly use your phone or text much to have this tariff.

Considering it's BOM the iPhone should be free on a contract like every other phone out there - some that surpass the iphone in some areas of technology as well.

The iphones interface is fantastic, the iphone itself is a good phone - I really like it, but it's just not worth the money or justifying the hype from where I'm looking. Apart from the interface it just seems so last year tech-wise. I am just confused why the other companies haven't really released an iphone "killer" yet - some have come close but none really nail it. Apple is innovative, I'll give them that but exclusivity is not a good way to get the brand and phone into circulation in the UK where we are used to competition and heavily subsidised handsets.

I'd take an iPhone over an N95 I think if the price were equal -it has the features I want, but not at a large price premium.

21. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

:)