I have AT&T: How Long Until Price Drop on iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamthecondenser, Sep 8, 2014.

1. iamthecondenser macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 4 that is on its last leg: it overheats and can barely hold a charge.

I have AT&T and was able to purchase my iPhone 4 (in May 2013) for $1 when I renewed my contract.

I'm looking to do something similar once the price drops on the iPhone 5. Do we know when that will be? I assume it will be relatively soon since iPhone 6 will be announced in a few hours.

Thanks for your help!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The iPhone 5 was discontinued last year, currently available are the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.

3. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

There is no more iPhone 5. Do you mean the 5s instead?

4. iamthecondenser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies. Whichever one is cheaper. I just need a phone that works and I'd like a newer iPhone.

5. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

My best guess is:

5c = $0 on contract
    5s = $99 on contract
    6 = $199 on contract
    6 plus = $299 on contract

If you want the cheapest possible go with the 5c (once the iPhone 6 goes on sale and the price drops), me personally though I would go with the 5s since it has a 64 bit chip and will get updates longer, is faster, and iOS 8 will utilize touch ID more and its been a godsend for me.

6. iamthecondenser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! When do you think the price will drop?

7. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

As soon as the iPhone 6 goes on sale (whenever that is). I believe rumors have it pegged for Sept 19th, but the 5s went on sale Sept 20th last year. Right around that time though :)

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You may well be on a contract and need to continue to pay off that phone until next May. Go online with ATT today and see what options they offer.

9. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Be weary that it may be the 8GB option that they are selling after the 6 is launched. They may still have inventory of the 16, 32, and 64GB that you could get for a good price.