I have Blackjack-friend has non 3g iphone-he wants new

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flgto, Jul 24, 2008.

1. flgto macrumors newbie

I know somebody will know this answer. Here is my scenario - I bought my BlackJack II earlier this year. I would love to get a new Iphone, but I am not eligible for the $199 upgrade and really don't want to spend $400 (same reason I didn't buy iphone in the first place).

Anyway a good friend of mine is willing to upgrade his iphone to the 3g. I assume he is eligible to upgrade for $199 the upgrade fee. He said he would sell me his old one for cheap enough to get my interest.

Since I already have the data plan for $30 a month, will I be able to buy his old iphone to replace my blackjack?

Perfect scenario is that he gets a new phone, I get his nice "old" one, take my sim out of blackjack and start using iphone. I know it won't be that easy, but I am wondering what steps would have to happen.

Thanks!

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Perfect scenario is correct! You've got yourself a new (new to you) v1 iPhone...I believe you can go to the $20 data plan for the v1 iPhone (save $10).:cool:

3. View macrumors regular

I see no reason why that wouldn't work. If you already have the unlimited data plan, then you can just swap the sim card and start using the iPhone right then. You just don't get that special $20 iPhone data plan (you're paying $10 more a month).

4. harodude macrumors regular

Unless that "Old" iPhone hasnt been unlocked yet....

You will have to put your sim chip into it, and it will most likely require you to activate an iPhone data plan....

BUT!
    There is a way around this and all you have to do is call 611, and tell them the IMEI # of the old iPhone and ask them to please put the 20 dollar data package on for you...

That there would save you 10 dollars from the current 30 that you were already planning on..

Make sense?

5. flgto thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys are great and the quick response it amazing!

So all he has to do is go to At&t and say he wants to upgrade. He pays his $199 + fees and they give him a new Iphone and I assume take his SIM card out. His phone has not been unlocked or modified in anyway. So he walks out of store with new iphone activated (does he pay more now for date $30/mo?) and old phone deactivated?

Then I take his old iphone and put my sim in, and it will just work? That would be sweet!

6. flgto thread starter macrumors newbie

We will be trying it this weekend hopefully and I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again!!!

7. flgto thread starter macrumors newbie

Well after a long wait, I finally got the phone. Well I received it and it showed the screen with the itunes logo and the usb cable. Brought it home and thought it would work...but I got the 1604 error. Well after lots internet searching and attempts, no luck.

This was tried with my blackjack's SIM...

Any thoughts?

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Sounds like it needs the firmware restored. What did your friend do before he gave it to you?

In the hack forum I believe you will find links to the firmware files to download from Apple. Does it prompt you to restore it after you connect it to iTunes? If so, just point it to the restore file you downloaded from iTunes. That should get you going in the right direction.

9. flgto thread starter macrumors newbie

All he did is get his new phone and his old one was deactivated. He didn't do any hacks on the phone.

As of now it shows the Itunes logo and usb cables on the screen. When I connect it to Itunes it says "Itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode. You must restore this iphone before it can be used with itunes"

So then I click RESTORE. Then I click RESTORE AND UPDATE. It extracts the software, and says it is preparing the iphone for restore...but then it gives the 1604 message.

10. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

I could be mistaken, but I don't think you can just use your BlackJack SIM in the iPhone. You have to take the iPhone and your SIM into AT&T. Tell them you bought the iPhone from a friend and you need to activate it to your account. They will give you a new SIM with the proper iPhone activation settings. The upside is you CAN use that SIM in other phones.

My old Nokia SIM wouldn't work in my iPhone, but I can use my iPhone SIM in the Nokia.

Good Luck.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

As long as it is a 3G SIM you can. So he's cool. I took the SIM out of my Samsung A747 and activated it on an iPhone plan using my roommates iPhone. No problems at all.

13. flgto thread starter macrumors newbie

7.7 macintosh

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

15. shelbias macrumors member

i took out the sim card out of my old Sony Ericsson phone and placed it in my iPhone 3G. No problems!

16. flgto thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: I went to the At&T store today and they gave me a new SIM card and put the iphone on my account. They said, just bring it home and hook it up to iTunes and no problem.

Well I went home, and guess what? Same 1604 message!!!! So frustrating.

I am lost now. My buddy was using this phone the other day, got the new 3G...and now this phone is useless.

17. FJR macrumors regular

um, why don't you try calling at&t support and then selecting the option for iPhone support? Sometimes they're helpful. They'll at least know what your error number means.

18. flgto thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE

Well I ended up calling 1800 MY IPHONE as AT&T recommended, and well now it works. Long story short is that I had to uninstall Itunes 7.7 and remove a bunch of files. Once I reinstalled Itunes it seemed happy.

So now I have a working Iphone...and I love it. I have always wanted an Iphone but could not justify the full price...but $100 for his used iphone makes it worthwhile.

Thanks for everyone who responded to my posts. You guys are great.