Resolved I have contract-free iPhone that needs to be replaced with AppleCare+, will they give me unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Truthfulie, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Truthfulie macrumors regular

Here is my situation.

I have an iPhone 6 that I just paid off that I've yet to unlock since it is broken and will need to be replaced via AppleCare Plus. No point going through AT&T's unlock process if I am getting a replacement this weekend. I intend to sell it off as I've already pre-ordered 6S.

My question is...will they be able to replace my phone unlocked by check my terms with AT&T? or will I need to go through the unlock process after the replacement? Latter scenario isn't that big of a deal but seeing as the value will drop after the release, I'd like to sell it as soon as possible.

Does anyone have similar experience on the matter?

2. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Apple will match the unlock status of the phone they are replacing. Unlocking replacements that you haven't actually used on your service are always tough to unlock because they don't have the record of the phone. I would highly recommend unlocking it before you get the replacement, and that will ensure that the new one will be unlocked with no issues.

3. Truthfulie thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I do have few days before my planned visit. I will request the unlock right away. Thanks for the help.