I have lost a great deal of respect for Facebook

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dextertangocci, Oct 15, 2008.

1. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Hi everyone

I started a Facebook group a few days ago which was promptly shut down today by Facebook Admins.

This group was opposing underage parties (where most of the guests are 12-14 years old), where alcohol was provided to these adolescents.

In South Africa, the drinking age is 18, but the enforcement for this law is usually very lax.

The group had over 500 members (in four days), supporting the cause. There was a lot of swearing in the group (from the members) and "individual bashing" from the members, including myself. The reason the group was shut down was because it "attacks an individual or group." Well of course it does, I'm raising a legitimate concern over the excessive consumption of alcohol by children. The reason "I hate Robert Mugabe" or "I hate Saddam Hussein" groups still exist (even though these groups attack individuals) is because those people are monsters, just like the morons who sell alcohol to 12 year olds.

You are an intelligent bunch of people, and I would like to hear your opinion on whether I was right or wrong by creating this group.

Dexter

2. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'll drink to that....

...sorry had to.

I think this is a good cause that someone needs to speak up on, but Facebook may not be the way to go about it. Facebook is free. I for one, think there are many groups that shouldn't be on there, but still remain.

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Make the group again with some restrictions. Be sure swearing/bashing doesn't occur to a great extent by either continually moderating the Wall or turning it off.

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

All the South Africans I know know how party.

I've only been to Johannesburg for a few weeks but it seems like a good place. I think 12 is too young but I can't say I agree with you. As long as kids aren't getting black out drunk every night, a little alcohol doesn't hurt anyone (especially if they're not even driving).

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Couldn't disagree more. Drinking at 12 is pretty much indescribably and flat out wrong.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Maybe starting a group to help these kids instead of bashing them would have been more appropriate. Most kids who start drinking this young are having problems at home. Instead of beating them down further, maybe give a hand to help them up.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, and whether FB disagrees with the statement or not, he should have been allowed to give it. It's not spreading hatred or intolerance. It deals with a real life issue.

8. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman