I have mixed desires for the iPhone 5...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Johnny Steps, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Either I'm hearing good or I'm hearing bad things for this phone. I have the iPhone 4S right now so I feel like upgrading lol.

But lately I keep looking at the Galaxy SIII simply because, compared to the iPhone 5, it has more. I've played with it a bit and it's pretty smooth!

But I can't get android because it seems, and here's the weird part, I would be "cheating" on Apple. I've got the Macbook Pro, an iPad 3, and the iPhone 4S. I have an ecosystem that I've invested money into. And even if the iPhone 5 is bad as some people say it is, I can't switch to something else.

Not trying to start a flame war or anything but anyone have opinons on this? I'm probably not gonna upgrade now... but obviously in the near future. Cause in truth... all the iPhone 5 has over the 4S is speed to me :\ maybe I'm just overthinking.

2. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

there is a term for that, its called "5-curious"

Dont be ashamed to be yourself.

3. Moneymiike420 macrumors regular

Moneymiike420

its taller,thinner,lighter,twice the ram as the 4s,its the phone to have right now its your call.....theres gonna be a 5s next september/october... or a 6 if tim cook takes things differently but it seems like you answered your question already.

4. Toonbay macrumors 6502

Toonbay

Whitley Bay, North East UK (God's Country)
    Just do it!!, i was same had 4S and was not going to upgrade, was in Apple store and soon as i picked it up and used it i loved it and was sold.
    That was on a lunchtime and i picked one up that evening with the reservation i had made on the sunday
    Got a white 16gb and love it!!

5. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Get what you want, it's your money. I had the 4, and skipped the 4s, so the 5 is definitely an upgrade for me. Better overall camera, chip, etc...

Everyone has their own opinion...and you know that old saying right? Opinions are like @holes; everyone has one. It's okay to check forums to see if there are major issues, or to get some questions answered. But don't buy, or not buy based on someone else's "personal" agenda.

Also, most the negative comments here are the minority. Most of the reviews have been fairly positive.

6. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I had a Galaxy S3 and I loved it. It's a fantastic phone. Today I returned it for an iPhone 5 and here's why. I have an HTC One X to satisfy my Android needs so I didn't feel like I needed the Galaxy S3. Also I have an Apple TV, MacBook Air, and an iPad 2. I really like how the iPhone fits in perfectly with my other Apple devices and seamlessly syncs with them. Another reason I switched is because my phone usage, needs, and desires have changed. I don't need or want to jailbreak (I've had every iPhone and all were jailbroken the second a jailbreak was available.) because the iPhone out of the box does what I need and want. So because of this I didn't feel like I needed the openness of Android. I'll miss the big screen but I'll get over it.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's a phone, not a girl.

But show me a Galaxy SIII and I'll show you an Apple user who got tired of it and eventually returned to the iPhone.

8. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

See that's probably what I'm thinking would happen. Eh, I guess it's that whole thinking "wow I'm able to customize everything" when really it gets boring after a while.

Honestly the HTC Evo 4G left a bad taste in me. Android was the first smartphone OS I used actually.

9. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I feel you. I'd love a phone similar to a GS3, but with all the apps I've purchased and use daily, their cross-functionality with my iMac/MBA/iPad 3, it's just too difficult to switch to something that isn't an iPhone.

Reminders, Notes, iMessages, Contacts, etc - everything iCloud (plus having an Apple TV). Too good to give up.

Not that the iPhone 5 isn't a stellar phone, but a change in OS, bigger screen, and other neat features (NFC) would certainly be a tad more entertaining (and yes, I realize it's a phone... a tool... but there's nothing wrong with having fun with it).

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I had the S III, returned it and bought the iPhone 5. Personal choice.

11. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

You should try out the GS3 for a few months.

You'll be back... They all come back. :apple:

12. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

XD Lol more than likely!

13. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Haha, I love the "cheating on Apple" thing you have going on. Ask yourself if this is really important. I have a Mac Pro and an older Windows PC desktop I built. They play together fine. I can transfer files with an ethernet cable or across my home wifi as if they were both Macs or both PCs. Adobe files open and edit on either desktop.

I also have an iPhone and an Android phone, so that I can use one for traveling abroad and another for local use. My Android phone integrates terrifically with my Mac, in fact. I can transfer files to it via bluetooth, run Google Play on it to stream my music to my phone, and everything works fine.

It's not like I am dating two women that have feelings and emotions, and will cry when I "use the other one." They are all companies that simply want your money.

The myth that you need Apple products to run on other Apple machines is totally false. Use what works best for you, and don't fear what Apple, Inc. will "think of you" for using other products, because they only think about you when you're in their face, about to hand your money over to them. The same goes for all the other phone makers.

14. darster Suspended

I can understand your dilemma. I have an iMac, ipad 2, and Apple TV3. Had the Iphone 4, but upgraded last winter to the Razr Maxx because of LTE. Although LTE was nice, the Razr Maxx was a pain to integrate with my other Apple devices. After almost 9 months, I gave up and got the iPhone 5. Now all my devices play well together plus still have LTE. There is nothing wrong with android devices, but for me, with all that I have invested with Apple products, the smooth integration with all devices trumped android.

15. wc17 macrumors member

The majority of users that take to the net to express their feelings are doing so to express their BAD experiences, not the good ones. The overall numbers of the people complaining are really, really small when you think of the millions that have been sold so far...

Its either hardcore iPhone users who are bitching about certain aspects or its hardcore Apple haters who I wouldnt want to listen to those opinions anyways.

I LOVE my iPhone 5. Its thinner, lighter, has a bigger screen (not a giant screen like most Android phones), faster, etc. (oh and its absolutely gorgeous! :D) Its a fabulous phone!

16. opeepingtomo macrumors regular

I am sort of in the same boat as you.

I have an iPhone4 right now. I really want to upgrade as this thing is SLOWWWWWW. The only reasons I haven't yet is
    First: losing unlimited data unless i pay retail for the phone
    Second: not really impressed with iPhone 5 but not sure if I want to go back to Android

I also have a second phone with is an Android that has been powered off for months. I turned it back on the other day and did all of the software updates. The original thing that turned me off from Android was the lack of applications that iPhone had at the time that I used a lot (netflix, etc.)

Now that really isn't and issue anymore. I am really leaning toward getting another Android phone as iOS has become boring and I do not like having to jump through menus to do things. That being said, i have a Macbook, iPad2, and money invested into the apps ive purchased in the "iTunes/Appstore" world. So at this point I am not really sure what I am going to do.

The longer I wait the more money ill end up putting into the Apple ecosystem, however, if i switch I'll have kind of thrown that away and ill be working with two separate systems. My luck Apple would also finally overhaul iOS and make me regret the decision even more.

Decisions, decisions...

17. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Since you are on the fence with regard to the iP5 and have a iP4s, I would simply wait for the next iP.

18. wc17 macrumors member

I went from an iPhone 4 to the 5. GIANT upgrade. So worth it!

19. opeepingtomo macrumors regular

The iPhone5 looks nice it's iOS that makes me want to get another android.

20. speed4tu macrumors member

I am on the fence also. I have a Galaxy nexus now and have had the 4, 4s and all other iphones except the first one. I like android but the iPhone just works more smoother all the time. The only downside is that tiny screen. Even their 4" one is really small. Prolly going to bite the bullet and pay full retail for one soon so I can keep my unlimited data.

21. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I'm a believer in the theory of not knowing until you try.. that goes for everything in life including the iphone. As much as I've criticized it over the past weekend.. I still ordered one.

I don't trust anything I see on the internet.. and so I have to find out for myself. I hope it arrives flawless and enjoy using it because it's my first iphone.

22. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

Don't underestimate the "speed" upgrade. I'm like you in that I'm tied to the apple ecosystem, but I've also owned an android phone (I had a mytouch 4g and a iPhone 4 at the same time) and it just wasn't my cup of tea. Granted the myTouch was my work phone and we had a policy that wouldn't allow me to receive work e-mail if I rooted the phone, and my iP4 was jailbroken as my personal phone, but I digress.

The jump from the 4S to the 5 for me was like night and day. I also switched from ATT to VZW. Battery life, in my experience, has improved slightly but noticably, but the speed is what really gets me. LTE compared to HSPA+ was like going from a 56k to broadband on my computer.

The other thought I had was why not just stay month to month on your contract and hang on to that upgrade until something you like comes along that you don't have to compromise for? I was month to month on ATT for the last four months and the freedom to choose any phone I wanted on any carrier without paying an ETF was the type of luxury you don't appreciate until you actually have it.

23. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

ROFL!

[​IMG]

----------

Totally agree. Switching between apps, etc, is so much better on i5. The device has rekindled my love for iPhones again. :)

24. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Well, remember that the first few weeks of a new phone, any issue is going to be magnified and blown out of proportion...even the real issues are going to be made out to be bigger than they really are.

Biggest real problem with the iPhone 5 is that they aren't coming pristine from the factory in a lot of cases. This is annoying, but ultimately doesn't do anything to the phone. The purple flare issue is MASSIVELY overblown (it exists, but if you compose a picture with any semblance of photographic composition, you'll never see it). The other 'issues' are not widespread, and only affect a very small amount of people. It's just that on a forum like this, you're going to hear about every single little problem. All other phones, including the GS3, have these little problems in a certain number of phones...it's just going to happen with high tech gadgets.

Anyway, here's my take on the 5 (before the 5, I've owned the 3Gs, 4 and 4S).

This is, IMO, the biggest upgrade to the iPhone that they've ever done. Only the 4 from the 3Gs was close (many people view that as a bigger upgrade due to the big jump in screen quality and the new form factor, but the speed increase was marginal). Literally every single thing on the phone has been improved. Aside from flaring in very, very specific situations, the camera is noticeably better. It's MUCH faster. I mean, really, really, really fast, and it's noticeable even coming from the 4S. The screen is outstanding, and the extra size is welcome without being too large. It's also of higher quality with more accurate color, richer color, and crisper contrast. It's got LTE, so if you have LTE in your area you're going to see a massive speed increase in cellular data, and while the design is a tribute to the 4/4S design, it is not the same and feels wonderful in the hand.

My city doesn't have LTE yet (due by end of year) on AT&T, but the 5 also jumps from HSPA+ 14 to HSPA+21, and even that has bumped my speeds from 7Mbps down to 11 Mbps down.

So, for me, I think it's well worth the upgrade, but that's just one opinion.

25. Honza macrumors member

This. When I left iPhone for Android (GSIII), I thought wow, widgets! And after a week of use, I concluded that in 99% of situations, the widget actually made things less efficient, more cluttered, sucked battery, etc. Most of the time I just need to go into the app anyway. In the end, the benefits I wanted Android proved to be very marginal. I missed some very key features of iOS and went back. Now I'm loving the iPhone 5. Android phones are good phones, but I think the iPhone is unfairly looked down upon by techies for its simplicity.