I have NO idea how to even start with jailbreak, even after looking through the site

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MacManInLA, Nov 29, 2010.

1. MacManInLA macrumors newbie

Can someone at least answer the easy, yet critical, questions for me so I'll at least have an idea as to what I am looking for??

What do I do?? The more and more I read threads and guides, the more stuff I am introduced to. I am not computer illeterate, just relatively new to jailbreaking (never used iphone before this one).

Do I need some kind of pwnage tool? Can I use limera1n? Can I use greenpois0n?? Some guides say I need to wait for the pwnage tool so I can not mess with the baseband. What is the baseband all about? Should I be concerned with locking or unlocking??

What info will I lose by jailbreaking? How can I back it up on my computer?? Is there a full backup I have to do besides just plugging it in and synching in itunes??

Do I need to cook up my own firmware?? Can I do this on my PS3 with linux??

Here is what I am working with:

Device: iphone 4.
    Carrier: AT&T 8.0
    Modem Firmware: 02.10.04
    Device bought new from AT&T store and fully functional when I walked out.
    Computers I have access to for this: PS3 (linux), PC (XP), Mac (OS X)

2. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Use www.limera1n.com or www.greenpois0n.com to jailbreak, they both do the same thing. You won't lose any data, the whole process takes less than 5 minutes. Backup in iTunes before you do it anyway, just in case.

The baseband has to do with unlocking your phone. Since you're already on 4.1, to my knowledge, you don't need to use pwnaget00l.

3. MacManInLA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help.

Is there anything different about the two that I should weigh before picking one??

Where does all the info save? Are my contacts and SMS messages etc. saved somewhere hidden and I can get to them if somehow it is all deleted?

This is what I figured with the unlocking.

Anything else I should be concerned about with jailbreaking?

4. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Everyone has their pick. I have only used limera1n and it's worked multiple times for me without any hitches.

It'll all be stored in your backup, so if something goes wrong during the jailbreak process, just restore from that backup and evrything will be just as it was. If nothing goes wrong, it'll all just still be on your phone how it was. Nothing will be different.

Not really. Most anything that could go wrong is completely fixable by restoring.

HAVE FUN!

5. Zermelo macrumors regular

Since you're admittedly new to this and don't fully get the tutorials, AND you have a new iPhone with a legitimate contract, make sure you understand that technically jailbreaking your phone will void the warranty.

Now of course you can restore to the original fw as long as you don't mess with the baseband, but you should be aware of the technicalities and things you need to do to keep your warranty. Always read the warnings and take them seriously.

6. andy9l macrumors 68000

To give the simplest of answers;

No.

Yes, yes.

No, since you're on ATT and that's fine for you I assume. No point unlocking if you're happy with your carrier. Not worth the hassle.

None.

A Jailbroken iPhone is still backed up via iTunes, but this backup excludes unofficial apps/themes/mods.

Not for iOS 4.1 no.

Jailbreaking your iPhone voids your warranty with Apple. If you mess things up (extremely unlikely), you've got to claim it on insurance (assuming you have it). You can't take a Jailbroken iPhone to Apple, unless you are able to restore the iPhone officially using iTunes.

Once you've backed up a Jailbroken iPhone - that particular backup should really only be used on a Jailbroken iPhone. Reason being; some settings and trails are saved in the backup which Apple may look for should you return the phone to them. Essentially, if you want rid of the Jailbreak, restore via iTunes and 'set up as new phone'.

Back up your SHSH blobs for 4.1 before you go any further. To put this into the simplest terms possible - backing them up will allow you to restore your iPhone to iOS4.1 at any time you choose. Basically you won't be forced to restore to the latest iOS version (which may not be Jailbreak-able yet). To do this backup, install and open TinyUmbrella, plug your iPhone in and save your SHSH.

Remember, every time you update your iPhone's iOS version via iTunes, the Jailbreak will be lost along with all Cydia/manually installed apps/themes/mods. iOS 4.2 is still a tethered(1) Jailbreak, so I suggest sticking at 4.1 for the time being. Backup your blobs for 4.1 as I've described above - it takes a few seconds and saves you a world of troubles in the future.

(1) Tethered; a tethered Jailbreak means you must plug your iPhone into your Mac/PC and run the Jailbreak software again every time you turn your phone on. The opposite to this is 'untethered' which allows you to use your iPhone completely as normal whilst keeping the Jailbreak intact. Greenpois0n and limera1n put an untethered Jailbreak on your iPhone.