I have not been happy with my new Macbook at all.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skyclad, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Skyclad macrumors newbie

I ordered a new Macbook Pro a few weeks ago from the Apple store, which arrived on Monday. Took a while because they had to build it. My old PC broke, so I took a lot of friend's advice and bought a Macbook Pro.

Firstly, my old PC broke and I never knew you couldn't download your albums, songs, games, etc. again if this happened. Got my new Macbook Pro, signed into Itunes from it and there was nothing there. They said it said when I downloaded them that it was advisable to make a backup copy, and I remember it saying that but I didn't know it was because you couldn't download them again. I thought it was like other services that let you download purchases, take them off, download again whenever you want (like X Box Live and Sony's Playstation Network). So I guess I'm just out of the 200 or so albums I downloaded, along with 40 games, a movie and some song singles. A few thousand bucks.

Another thing is that when I placed this order a few weeks ago, I wish they could have told me new Macbook Pros were coming out so soon. I mean, literally 2 days after it arrived from Fed Ex, I see news on TV that the next ones are coming really soon.

Last but not least, I noticed that every time I open the screen on my 15" Macbok Pro, there are smudges on the screen in the shape of the keys on the keyboard. Which means when I close the screen the keys are jamming up into the screen. I paid over 300 bucks for 3 years of Apple Care, but when I called them tonight to ask about this problem, I was met with a recording to call back during Apple's normal business hours.

I don't know, i might sound whiny, but this is not the experience I thought I'd have after shelling out over $3,000.00 for this thing.

2. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Stop complaining and stay far away from apple products. Good luck finding a better company.

EDIT: You can re-buy the games/songs without paying. Just go and click "Buy" but it will tell you that you already paid and it will let you download it for free.

EDIT 2: As for the new macbooks, that is your fault for not doing your research before spending $3000. Next time look at Macrumors buying guide. Also, Apple is not allow to tell you when new products are coming.

3. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

I don't mean to be mean, but $3K? Christ. And yes, a bit whiny, as all of it is preventable. I don't know about the keyboard smudges...you could get a decent keyboard cover that actually look and function very well. They keep the keys from wearing at all.

You can also re-sell this one for quite a bit, as MBPs have awesome resale value, then just pick up a new one. Depending on the configuration, it may cost next to nothing. I'm only paying $2,162 for the higher-end 15" (with a student discount). Without, it's only $200 more. If you paid $3,000, you shouldn't have a problem re-selling and maybe coming up with the small amount needed to make up the difference.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you can try to return it/exchange it still. Some stores are nice and will let you exchange/return since the new ones just came out. Some tend to stretch the dates a bit. If they're nice.

4. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Return it and buy the newer version if that helps you feel better.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A keyboard protector would actually make the problem worse. The OP isn't worried about the keys getting worn down, they're worried about the keys touching the screen due to poor manufacturing and making smudges on the screen when the machine is closed.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

what movie did you lose?

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

well if you would have known about this site beforehand, you would have gotten an idea of when the new ones were going to be released.

Call and ask if you can exchange it for a new one, although you have BTO options..

Also, doesn't iTunes DISCLOSE this information when purchasing things?

8. vistadude macrumors 65816

First, you can redownload the songs onto 5 computers. You have to "authorize" iTunes on your new pc, then re-download the songs. I don't know how you're going to know which albums you already paid for unless you go into my account settings.

You can return your notebook since you bought it so recently, and then buy a new one.

The screen thing sucks - maybe it's better to look at a different laptop. I know the current white macbook doesn't have this problem, but yeah, it's 13 inches and outdated...

9. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Really? I've never used one myself because I've never owned a $2,000 laptop before, but my friends have some and I figured they would.

Meh, nevermind I suppose.

10. vistadude macrumors 65816

Is the screen hitting the keys normal? I've seen some friends who have the same exact problem, but others, particularly with the matte screen, don't seem to have this. Maybe the extra glass layer is too thick for the design?

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Nobody to blame but yourself on that one. For you to expect Apple to say hey buddy wait a few days because were going to release new laptops soon is ridiculous. Apple is a business, you should have done your research before shelling out 3,000 :eek:

12. frunk macrumors member

I think I've answered everything...

13. Skyclad thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't buy it at a stone and mortar store, I bought it from the online Apple store since I live in a rural area and there are no Apple stores anywhere around here. I upgraded to a faster hard drive, bigger hard drive, high res screen and a bunch of crap.

14. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Ah...yeah, that kind of sucks, then. I'm really uncertain of how this type of things works over the phones/internet. I'm sure they're more strict about it when they don't have to deal with you face-to-face.

:|

15. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Thats what I said. What persons spends $3000 doing no research on what they are buying?

16. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Contact the online store and see what they can do.

17. Skyclad thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it's normal, but I searched the problem in Google and quite a few people have had this problem of key shaped smudges on their screens.

18. Stetrain macrumors 68040

What does that have to do with your new Macbook Pro? The same thing would have happened if you had bought a new PC.

How did your old PC break? Is the hard drive possibly still functional? If so, you should be able to get a USB to SATA or IDE cable and transfer stuff over, or have someone with the right cables/equipment do it for you.

Really this is an iTunes complaint, and has to do with what the content owners (record labels) will and won't let Apple do.

Regarding the refresh, every Apple rumor site, including the one you're posting on now, has had stories every few days about new Macbook Pros coming for a while now. There's a page on this site that will tell you how long it's been since the last refresh, you bought a machine that hadn't been really updated in about a year.

I don't know what the policy is with custom built machines and returns, but I would go to your local Apple store and see what they can do. Since you just received it I wouldn't be surprised if they can work out an exchange. It will at least have a better chance of working than complaining here.

Edit: Just noticed you said that you don't live near an Apple store. Well, call them during normal business hours.

19. Skyclad thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I've had car salesmen tell me to wait. A month or so ago I had a store that sells audio equipment tell me I might to wait a week to see the new models they are getting in.

20. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If the OP googled 2011 MBP before it came out, he would have pulled up the thousands of 2011 MBP threads from macrumors over the past few months.

OP, do this next time your in the market.

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It has less to do with the value of anyone's machine and more to do with you not understanding the problem entirely.

22. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Anyone who can google would learn that auto makers release new models annually. Same goes for macbook pros. Like we said, if you did your research you would have know.

I bet you would google the car before you bought it lol.

23. Skyclad thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that part is ITunes related, but hey, it's still Apple related.

24. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

But, the car company probably already revealed the new car coming in one month. Apple did not reveal.

25. Skyclad thread starter macrumors newbie

That was just one of two examples I used, and one of many I could use.