Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sup3rknova

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Riverside, CA
I love my Macbook Pro. But for my courses this spring I need to get a windows machine. My courses are listed below.
Network+: Network Tech Cert
Intro to Windows Server
Intro to Computer Science

I was told by one of my instructers that using parrells (etc.) on my mac would not be sufficient for my courses. I need a full fledged windows machine.
I don't have a problem with it since I get some good aid and I could afford to get buy one anyway. I don't want to spend more than I have to since it will be mainly for school and as an extra laptop for my wife to use. (SINCE I HOG MY MAC! LOL)

Any opinions? Ive seen AMAZON advertise this Toshiba. What do y'all think?
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-L755-S5349-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B005KP0UVE/ref=zg_bs_565108_2

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I feel for you! Got rid of my last Windows machine a good while back. That Toshiba is okay, but I think you can do better. Does it have to be a laptop, or would you be able to use a tower based system?

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is using boot camp an option?

Sup3rknova

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Riverside, CA
I don't think boot camp is an option either. Like I said, I really don't mind buying one. I just want the best for money if I'm going to. And no desktop. I want to be mobile so I can "do some work at Starbucks". HAHA

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I personally like HP laptops more ... I think they look pretty nice.
http://www.amazon.com/HP-G6-1c79nr-...ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325831599&sr=1-6

additionally, this has a bit more power for a lower price. it's a lenovo

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-43348PU-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B005NHP21C/ref=pd_cp_pc_4

Not sure if you can spend more, but this toshiba is really nice
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satel...f=sr_1_18?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325831725&sr=1-18

But really, if you're just looking to buy this as a secondary computer for additional work, then i wouldn't spend so much money it. I'd get one of the two I posted.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I had a Sony Vaio Z for two years. It was pretty pricey, but if you're an Apple fan, you're probably used to paying a premium.

A lot of people will probably argue that Sony isn't worth the price, but I had a great experience with my Sony Vaio Z. The new one is a beast if you're into hardware specs. Doubt you're looking to drop 2 grand though :p

I'm not too sure what a Windows PC can do that a boot camped or even virtualized Windows Mac can't do o_O

Sup3rknova

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Riverside, CA
I personally like HP laptops more ... I think they look pretty nice.
http://www.amazon.com/HP-G6-1c79nr-...ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325831599&sr=1-6

additionally, this has a bit more power for a lower price. it's a lenovo

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-43348PU-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B005NHP21C/ref=pd_cp_pc_4

Not sure if you can spend more, but this toshiba is really nice
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satel...f=sr_1_18?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325831725&sr=1-18

But really, if you're just looking to buy this as a secondary computer for additional work, then i wouldn't spend so much money it. I'd get one of the two I posted.
Great info, thanks. I like Hps and Ya lenovos have awesome specs .

Last edited by a moderator:

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Boot camp IS an option. Otherwise the world makes no sense. A Mac is, after all, just a PC. Using virtual machines might be a issue in some specialized situations (such as not being able to run bridged networking over wifi) but when you're running Windows directly on the iron you shouldn't have a problem.

If your instructor says otherwise, have him explain why. Then ask one of the other instructors if he is correct. Then post the explanation here. I would love to hear it.

Michaelhuisman

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Netherlands
absolutely silly to have to buy a Windows machine

I *truly* have no idea why your prof is forcing you to do this. In fact, you'd be better prepared for the outside world if you ran these machines under Fusion on your Mac, as most servers are now running in VMWare environments anyway.

That special case mentioned above, Bridged NIC under Wifi, is not a problem with VMWare Fusion, I do it all the time.

Seriously, as another poster said, challenge your prof on this.

If at the end of the day, they're requiring Windows on the actual "metal", then BootCamp, but that'll require a little "surgery" on your existing Mac partition.

Good that you asked the question here.

Seriously, save the dough, or buy a small machine for the wife/girlfriend.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Like other said, do the Bootcamp thing. If they still say no, Lenovo all the way! The new Thinkpad Edge looks nice. But I think the Thinkpad T series is the best.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I love my Macbook Pro. But for my courses this spring I need to get a windows machine. My courses are listed below.
Network+: Network Tech Cert
Intro to Windows Server
Intro to Computer Science

I was told by one of my instructers that using parrells (etc.) on my mac would not be sufficient for my courses. I need a full fledged windows machine.
I don't have a problem with it since I get some good aid and I could afford to get buy one anyway. I don't want to spend more than I have to since it will be mainly for school and as an extra laptop for my wife to use. (SINCE I HOG MY MAC! LOL)

Use Bootcamp on your MacBook Pro. It's free except for the Windows license (I think you'll only need an OEM license, so that would be cheap), and your MacBook Pro _is_ a full Windows PC.

Boot camp IS an option. Otherwise the world makes no sense. A Mac is, after all, just a PC. Using virtual machines might be a issue in some specialized situations (such as not being able to run bridged networking over wifi) but when you're running Windows directly on the iron you shouldn't have a problem.

If your instructor says otherwise, have him explain why. Then ask one of the other instructors if he is correct. Then post the explanation here. I would love to hear it.

Where I work, anyone who needs a Windows laptop and has a little bit of clout gets a MacBook Air and installs Windows from our company wide license. Best windows laptop you can buy, or so I am told.

I had a Sony Vaio Z for two years. It was pretty pricey, but if you're an Apple fan, you're probably used to paying a premium.

I'm used to pay good money for good stuff. When paying a premium you ask yourself: What for?

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Also not sure why they are forcing you to buy a machine. Usually you have labs for that, what if you can't afford it? I finished my CS degree using my macbook and bootcamp.

That being said, you should check out http://www.newegg.com

They have great deals. Also keep your receipts as you can write off the cost as it is for education. I would try to obtain a letter from the school showing that it is a requirement for your files that way if you are audited you can prove it. That is if you are actually located in the USA. (I just made the assumption).

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I am almost 100% certain I'll get torn to shreds for this, but......

Boot Camp is NOT the same as a Windows PC. Why? I don't have an answer, really. All I know is that Windows 7 in Boot Camp tends to be "finicky" (for lack of a better word), where as on my two Dells and my HP desktop it works great. I've noticed strange issues PARTICULARLY with networking, which is exactly what the OP is needing Windows for.

Should BC be exactly the same? YES.

(In my personal experience as a tech guy) Is it? NO.

The only conclusion I can come to is that it must be something with either the EFI (instead of a traditional PC BIOS) or, more likely, something quirky with one or more of Apple's drivers.

Flame me if you want to, but if I were the OP and I was DEPENDING on Windows to get my degree, I, too, would buy a Windows machine.

@ the OP: I tend to go for either HP or Dell (Latitudes ONLY). But I really like the Dell XPS 14z, too, if there's enough horsepower there for you. :D

EDIT: wpotere, which MBP did you use? I've tended to notice that the Core 2 models tended to work better with Boot Camp using XP than the newer Core i-series using 7... again, just my experience. :)

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009

I seriously agree with this dude. The MBP should more than suffice in Bootcamp. I Booted my MacBook Air, you run a separate and full version of windows. In essence it IS a PC when you boot in bootcamp.

Unless you are requiring some serious hardware for these courses, which you already specified you don't want to spend much = not buying cutting edge PC, I fail to see the problem in bootcamping.

WW

----------

I am almost 100% certain I'll get torn to shreds for this, but......

Boot Camp is NOT the same as a Windows PC. Why? I don't have an answer, really. All I know is that Windows 7 in Boot Camp tends to be "finicky" (for lack of a better word), where as on my two Dells and my HP desktop it works great. I've noticed strange issues PARTICULARLY with networking, which is exactly what the OP is needing Windows for.

Should BC be exactly the same? YES.

(In my personal experience as a tech guy) Is it? NO.

The only conclusion I can come to is that it must be something with either the EFI (instead of a traditional PC BIOS) or, more likely, something quirky with one or more of Apple's drivers.

Flame me if you want to, but if I were the OP and I was DEPENDING on Windows to get my degree, I, too, would buy a Windows machine.

@ the OP: I tend to go for either HP or Dell (Latitudes ONLY). But I really like the Dell XPS 14z, too, if there's enough horsepower there for you. :D

EDIT: wpotere, which MBP did you use? I've tended to notice that the Core 2 models tended to work better with Boot Camp using XP than the newer Core i-series using 7... again, just my experience. :)

YOu do have some valid points here, perhaps. However, I can't say as that I notice any difference on my MBA when it is in Bootcamp vs any other PC I have had. It is worth exploring, or at the very least, testing on his or her own MBP before springing on the new machine. Unfortunately though, you require to purchase a complete copy of Windows OS.

I do agree with your assessment of Dell. Say what you want about their desktops, but their laptops are amazing. I game alot and was never able to run them into the ground. I once decided to ""upgrade"" to an ASUS top of the line gaming laptop. What a POS compared to my previous Dell laptops.

WW

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
ok so I'm guessing you would like a 15" computer based on your Amazon link...
here is what i found :D

I usually buy HP's just becuase my first computer was an HP [hey I was a little kid back then] and well my dad also liked HP's and since he had the C.C. it was kinda hard to argue :p but I find their computers pretty decent :)

Anyway, I suggest you sign up for HP academy; you get pretty great discounts [but you still pay tax though ><

So just by skimming through hp.com [signed in with HP Academy login]
here is what i see:
QuickShip Models [they ship within 24 hours]
$505 [link]

$533 [link]

Customizable Models:
[See Attachments]

Some of the models are 14" because I assumed 14" might work for you if it's about the right price.

Attachments

• 2012-01-06_072051.jpg
    2012-01-06_072051.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 2012-01-06_072124.jpg
    2012-01-06_072124.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 2012-01-06_072137.jpg
    2012-01-06_072137.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 81

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
What's wrong with the VM Parallels (or VMWare Fusion) route? The host machine just has to have enough resources to drive a guest machine. If you're running 4gb RAM, upgrade to 8gb or more; that would be cheaper than a whole new separate box. I think your instructor maybe doesn't know what he's talking about or just has never seen a properly configured VM setup.

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
What's wrong with the VM Parallels (or VMWare Fusion) route? The host machine just has to have enough resources to drive a guest machine. If you're running 4gb RAM, upgrade to 8gb or more; that would be cheaper than a whole new separate box. I think your instructor maybe doesn't know what he's talking about or just has never seen a properly configured VM setup.

Some PC people have no clue about anything Mac. I had to call tech support on a windows program and the guy told me "Macs don't run Windows" when I tried to explain Bootcamp & VMs he argued with me and refused to provide any help, so don't tell them you have a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.