I have unlimited data plan with att, Should I upgrade tonite??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -Knight-, Sep 13, 2012.

1. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I want to upgrade tonite but i'm scared i'll screw something up and lose my unlimited data plan with att. Should I do it?? Any suggestions??

Thanks

2. corey407woc macrumors member

I just called att about this. apparently when you preorder tonight there will not be an option for unlimited data. there will be 3 options but the rep puts a note in to the computer and the system sees that you have been grandfathered into the unlmited plan. when you receive the phone you will call just to confirm that you will be put back on the same plan. when i called they also waived the 36 dollar activation fee. doesn't hurt to as worse they can say is no

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You wont screw it up.
    There will be an available option to keep your current plan without changing it.
    If its not there or you're having problems then dont complete the order. But like every year Im sure you will be fine placing the order and keeping your unlimited data.

How do they waive the activation fee before people even ordered or activated the device?
    I thought you had to wait till your bill came in and the activation charge is in the account in order for them to waive it.

4. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Last yeah the option was there to keep my unlimited data plan. No worries, you'll be ok.

5. corey407woc macrumors member

they put the note in to credit the account 36 dollars you will still be charged tonight but next bill the credit goes in

6. -Knight- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

okay thanks guys, I guess if i'm not sure about things then I just won't do it and wait it out. Now i'm just not sure to do it thru Apple's site or Att's site lol

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice.
    So do they charge it now on the credit card or like always on your phone bill?

8. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

If you are that worried just call 611 on your phone and speak to a representative. Tell them the situation and ask that they put a note stating you called in and would like to keep your unlimited data once you receive the phone. They will do this for you no problem.

9. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Excellent! That's good to know. I trust that it will be the same this year.

10. corey407woc macrumors member

believe they put it on att bill

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh good.
    I usually just call them and they remove it.

12. transam7816 macrumors regular

So I just called 611 and the rep said he wasn't gunna put a note on the account about keeping my unlimited data plan if I buy it online since it won't have an option to keep the current plan and there wouldn't be a way to revert it if I do choose another plan online? He said he would call me back after the release time to place the order over the phone...

13. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

When i did a mock preorder with the iPhone 4s it kept the voice plan and existing unlimited data plan...that should be the case when we order on apple.com...the only thing we should have to select is the text messaging plan

14. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

There will be an option to keep your unlimited. I tested out buying a 4S before the store closed and you get two options, one is to start a new rate plan an another was a unlimited (only to those who are on the unlimited plan) You simply click it and you continue to have your unlimited plan with a new two year contract.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, spoke to another clueless rep.
    The option to keep your current plan was always there on AT&T and Apple so I dont see why it wont be there this time either.
    Clearly he just wanted you to place the order with him so he can get the commision.

16. blunti macrumors 6502a

I hope you're right :) would hate to see my unlimited go away...

Ps: it shouldn't matter if I go with Apple.com instead of att, right?

17. transam7816 macrumors regular

I was thinking commission also. Either way I'm going to try the website first. Eff the rep

18. jcrmrr macrumors newbie

I called a little while ago too and was told something else. The rep told me to choose the cheapest data plan available, then to just call in when I got phone and they would change me back to unlimited data.

19. tigress666 macrumors 68040

This sounds like bad advice. In fact I read an article saying that be very careful ordering online and don't change anything. The rep the person spoke to said if you change your plan, they will not change it back (AT&T may be being nicer than verizon about still subsidizing and grandfathering unlimited but they will use any excuse to get you off short of outright saying we aren't allowing it anymore). And I've heard stories on here way before this of people for whatever reason accidentally getting off the unlimited plan (one who put a dumb phone on the line and AT&T noticed so put it on a dumbphone plan and when she tried to reverse it they told her they couldn't and she lost her unlimited) that verifies AT&T will not put it back even if it was accidental.

I dunno, if the option isn't there, I think I'll just play it safe. I'd rather risk waiting a few weeks to get the phone rather than losing my unlimited so I can have my phone right away. I mean I suppose since I don't tend to go over 2 GBs a month anyways I'd get over it but I'd rather change by my own choice rather than by mistake.

20. ashley1496 macrumors regular

I am also in this situation. I have another question tho--If I preorder tonight and do apple in-store pickup will it charge me now or when I pick up in store?

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You'd be fine with either site.
    You wont lose it.

Wow:D
    I dont know if they do it on purpose to make you lose the unlimited data or like usual make things up as they go.

22. -Knight- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I would never take that chance, I hear it's nearly impossible to get the unlimited data plan back no matter who's at fault for the error or mistake.

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I just ordered mine over my iphone's apple store app. There wasn't even any option but to choose my current plan (unlimited).

So shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe they're being respectful and making you choose what you already have so they don't have a lot of upset customers who accidentally change out of their unlimited. Imagine that, them trying to make sure they don't trick people out of it.

24. 55test55 macrumors 6502

Yes, mine also said unlimited and $30. There was no choice. It was just there. (though Apple.com)

25. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Yep...mine said 2 year contract with EXISTING PLAN...which for me is unlimited. No problems at all. Done!