I honestly don't think my photos & videos should count against my 5GB...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Swagged, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Swagged macrumors regular

2. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I do not really have an opinion on that, it is Apple's servers so I guess it is their decision. However, I Have two iPads and two iPhones and since i use the same icloud account for all of them 5GB is not cutting it.

3. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

4. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

I have two devices and 5gb does not cut it for backups and photos. Apple really needs to start giving us at least 10gb for free. 5gb might have been okay in 2011 but three years later it doesn't cut it. Everything is becoming bigger in size, higher resolution photos, better apps that are larger in size, etc...

5. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

iTunes Match should also be free like Google music.

6. Strang0r macrumors member

Strang0r

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

OP you never gave a reason why. I need to get a reason becuase I have no clue why it shouldn't count against you. Please explain that to me. Before you do the fact that it works out better for us (the users) does not count. Now if you can not explain a reason simple say say so.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many who think that food they eat in a restaurant shouldn't be added to their bill, or gas they put in their car shouldn't be paid for, but those arguments don't make any sense, either. Apple is in business to make money. I realize that may come as a shock to some people, but it's true!

9. Swagged, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

Swagged thread starter macrumors regular

I honestly don't think my photos & videos should count against my 5GB...

Because, I like the idea of all my photos and videos being stored on the cloud for free (just in case anything ever happened to my physical hard-drive(s)). I can't imagine 5gb being enough for my videos (some which happen to be 1gb+ in themselves), let alone my pictures. I think it's common sense that 5gb isn't enough and apple of all entities should know that. I get, for apple, it's all about profit, but I can't imagine apple going broke just because they didn't count our photos and videos against any amount of GBs on their servers...

----------

I agree. I'll never use iTunes Match, when there's Google Music right around the corner for free.

10. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I can give a reason that I don't think is necessarily relevant now, but may be in the future: increase stickiness of their OS. If you offer more storage then people store more on their phones/etc, they have a lot wrapped up in that stuff and being able to access it easily and knowing it's secure.

Right now I think the iPhone/Apple products are attractive enough that they don't need to worry about ease of accessibility and people will buy in anyway. Who knows what will happen in the future, though.

11. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Google music is free?

12. Swagged thread starter macrumors regular

Yes.

13. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I'm obviously missing something. What is Google music? I thought it was like spotify?

14. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

No, it uploads all your music in to the cloud like match so you have access to them where ever your are. Up to 20,000 songs uploaded for free, brilliant service. iTunes Match needs to go free if Apple want to compete.

15. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Agreed, apple should give everyone free unlimited photo and video storage. :eek:That way my 100+gb library would be stored for free.

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

17. Truthfulie macrumors regular

I don't them to let you store photos and video for free but...

Something like this would help. Just giving a gig would help. With multiple iOS devices, I find my storage being filled with backup data.

With Match being able to sync entire library across all my devices(Mac and iOS) is nice. The only reason why I pay to use Match despite Google Music does the same thing. But if Apple isn't going to offer it for free, they should at least give us unlimited song counts.

18. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Whether you pay for it separately or not you are going to pay for it somewhere. It is an expense for Apple and thus must be paid for somewhere. These are corporations whose main job is make money for stockholders - a cost must be paid for.

Google may make it by selling your personal data including what you store in their cloud so someone can direct their selling to you. Personally, I'd rather pay for something directly than get directed (or any) ads.

Should cost/GB be going down over time - sure - what was 5 GB a few years ago should probably be 10 or 15 now but for those that need 100 GB you should pay for it.

19. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

Great? You certainly don't have to use the iCloud backup for photos or videos. If you do, Apple, who provides the service, thinks that it should count towards the limit. Besides, think about how confusing it would be. "So I can backup my device, documents, and so on, but photos don't count toward my limit, even though everything else does". Apple is (normally) pretty good at keeping things simple and intuitive. If you're storing things in the cloud, it counts towards the limit, no matter what it is.

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

You can't base what you get off of how bad it will hurt the company. Apple is here to make money.

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

There is a difference between not having enough storage and not having enough free storage.

22. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Yeah no kidding, and everyone knows you can buy storage.

Now I don't know if your first message was in reply to me or the OP, but if Apple gives someone 5GB free to use with their iPhone, maybe someone that has for iOS devices on their account should get a bump. At least 1 GB per device after one would be nice.

Again, everyone knows you can buy more storage. Your post didn't help anyone.

23. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

It is. There are 2 parts to it. You can upload your music for free, and have total access which is like spotify for $9.99 a month.

The part of Google Music that is like iTunes match is the free part. However, you do get what you pay for in my experience. The Google Music app is not that good. I kept getting a lot of duplicates in my library too. Was a pain to manage.

24. Swagged thread starter macrumors regular

There are better apps, gMusic 2.