I hope apple keeps the 30 pin on 6th Gen iPhone

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Ot at least someone comes out with a good adapter. I just spent $400 on Audyssey speakers and all of my other accessories use the 30 pin connector.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I hope they don't. If they don't, they'll release an adapter. And there will be 800 Chinese knockoffs as well.

FSMBP

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2009
If Apple does come out with a smaller connector - I'm sure they will bundle an adapter with the iPhone (but I expect them to stop doing that on the 7th gen so 3rd parties will be forced to update the connector).

I know that sounds very unlike Apple but clearly this 30pin ecosystem is important to them or they would have updated sometime in the past decade.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The iPhone is waaaaaay to popular for adaptors not to be made. Don't forget if the iPhone gets bigger cause of hardware changes (bigger screen, battery, LTE etc) it might not sit in docks. Manufactures will just make an adaptor piece the shape of old style adaptors that snaps on the bottom or something.

I really would not worry about this at all.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I wonder if there will be added benefits to the micro connector. Would it offer faster transfers or something or would it just be thinner?

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
I hope they change the 30 pin connector, if anything to punish those that spent a ridiculous amount on unneccesary accessories.
Yes, good thinking. Because I am sure only us stupid people spend money on dumb accessories. I think Bose, Audyssey, monster and a million other speaker makers only sold a few of these things to us idiots. I'm sorry was your stupid phone only $.05? Or was it a ridiculous amount of money?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I wonder if there will be added benefits to the micro connector. Would it offer faster transfers or something or would it just be thinner?
Knowing how apple does things, probably just smaller for a thinner form factor. They're moving to cloud and wireless everying so I doubt it will boast higher transfer rates and they already charge extremely fast...

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Despite the bulk, the size and the old school appearance, I'm rather used to Apples steadfast position on proprietary plugs.

Yet that said, it would be nice for them to downsize it to a more attractive size which would fit with the way the rest of the device is styled. I think the big plug looks pretty ugly.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Yes, good thinking. Because I am sure only us stupid people spend money on dumb accessories. I think Bose, Audyssey, monster and a million other speaker makers only sold a few of these things to us idiots.
Pretty much. These are all fashion brands that sell overpriced junk to suckers who fall for their big advertising campaigns. Your money goes to pay for the advertising, not for the quality of the hardware.

You can buy much better speakers for $400... and hook them up with a regular jack socket that will be compatible with any future device.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Pretty much. These are all fashion brands that sell overpriced junk to suckers who fall for their big advertising campaigns. Your money goes to pay for the advertising, not for the quality of the hardware.

You can buy much better speakers for $400... and hook them up with a regular jack socket that will be compatible with any future device.
Or... just buy something bluetooth compatible. Bluetooth isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Never understood why a person would buy a product MADE for the iphone. If you get something with bluetooth it will work with all of these music players for years to come.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Or... just buy something bluetooth compatible. Bluetooth isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Never understood why a person would buy a product MADE for the iphone. If you get something with bluetooth it will work with all of these music players for years to come.
Hmm common sense in a non condescending way? I think you forgot you are on MR.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
i hope they change the 30 pin connector, if anything to punish those that spent a ridiculous amount on unneccesary accessories.

So cruel yet so on-point.

I'm also hoping that Apple changes the iPhone form-factor to "punish" all those numb-nuts who purchased those worthless, ugly $150 metal bumpers.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
The only 30 pin stuff I have are the cable that came with the phone, two 8ft cables that cost $4 each on ebay, and a $2 clone of Apple's dock with line-out, so I can connect it to any stereo.

So I really don't care what they come up with, as long as they keep the port on the bottom.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
The iPhone is waaaaaay to popular for adaptors not to be made. Don't forget if the iPhone gets bigger cause of hardware changes (bigger screen, battery, LTE etc) it might not sit in docks. Manufactures will just make an adaptor piece the shape of old style adaptors that snaps on the bottom or something.

I really would not worry about this at all.
But producing a cheap moulded plastic dock adapter as they have done in the past is one thing, making one that also adapts between different dock connectors is a different story.

I think it's inevitable that they will change the dock connector at some point though, but there isn't really an "ideal" time to do it because whenever they do do it, some people depending on the current size will be annoyed.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
I think its very likely.

Look at charging time on the new iPad. A revised method of charging for more speed like their laptops is a dire need, and only going to get worse. The tiny wires in dock connector cannot be rated for much current.

So why launch with iPhone 6? Sales strategy. Its the larger market penetrating, selling product, much more than iPad. IPad is still a sort of fresh market they are nuturing. So they push new standard with the surefire iPhone sales, more of their customer base adopts it. By the time the iPad 4 comes around, new connector is expected and mass adoption is already underway.

blairh

macrumors 68040
Dec 11, 2007
I purchased a sweet dock from Phillips that uses this connector for iPhone's & iTouch's. I would hate to have to sell it in case I want the next iPhone and it has a different charging port. However perhaps Phillips will just make new docks to accommodate this port.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Doubt they'll change it. They know the downsides to changing it just for a slightly thinner device.