I hope apple keeps the 30 pin on 6th Gen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mansu944, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Mansu944 macrumors 6502

Ot at least someone comes out with a good adapter. I just spent $400 on Audyssey speakers and all of my other accessories use the 30 pin connector.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Ok, I'll let Apple know that you want them to keep the 30 pin dock connector.

3. batotman macrumors 6502

I hope they don't. If they don't, they'll release an adapter. And there will be 800 Chinese knockoffs as well.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

If Apple does come out with a smaller connector - I'm sure they will bundle an adapter with the iPhone (but I expect them to stop doing that on the 7th gen so 3rd parties will be forced to update the connector).

I know that sounds very unlike Apple but clearly this 30pin ecosystem is important to them or they would have updated sometime in the past decade.

5. ap3604, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  6. cynics macrumors G4

The iPhone is waaaaaay to popular for adaptors not to be made. Don't forget if the iPhone gets bigger cause of hardware changes (bigger screen, battery, LTE etc) it might not sit in docks. Manufactures will just make an adaptor piece the shape of old style adaptors that snaps on the bottom or something.

I really would not worry about this at all.

7. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I wonder if there will be added benefits to the micro connector. Would it offer faster transfers or something or would it just be thinner?

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Thats the stupidest thing I've heard all week....

9. Mansu944 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, good thinking. Because I am sure only us stupid people spend money on dumb accessories. I think Bose, Audyssey, monster and a million other speaker makers only sold a few of these things to us idiots. I'm sorry was your stupid phone only $.05? Or was it a ridiculous amount of money?

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Knowing how apple does things, probably just smaller for a thinner form factor. They're moving to cloud and wireless everying so I doubt it will boast higher transfer rates and they already charge extremely fast...

11. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

You were ripped off.

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Despite the bulk, the size and the old school appearance, I'm rather used to Apples steadfast position on proprietary plugs.

Yet that said, it would be nice for them to downsize it to a more attractive size which would fit with the way the rest of the device is styled. I think the big plug looks pretty ugly.

13. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Pretty much. These are all fashion brands that sell overpriced junk to suckers who fall for their big advertising campaigns. Your money goes to pay for the advertising, not for the quality of the hardware.

You can buy much better speakers for $400... and hook them up with a regular jack socket that will be compatible with any future device.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Or... just buy something bluetooth compatible. Bluetooth isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Never understood why a person would buy a product MADE for the iphone. If you get something with bluetooth it will work with all of these music players for years to come.

15. cynics macrumors G4

Hmm common sense in a non condescending way? I think you forgot you are on MR.

16. batotman macrumors 6502

17. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

So cruel yet so on-point.

I'm also hoping that Apple changes the iPhone form-factor to "punish" all those numb-nuts who purchased those worthless, ugly $150 metal bumpers.

18. Mansu944 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know. Now they are only $299.00
    They sound amazing.

19. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

The only 30 pin stuff I have are the cable that came with the phone, two 8ft cables that cost $4 each on ebay, and a $2 clone of Apple's dock with line-out, so I can connect it to any stereo.

So I really don't care what they come up with, as long as they keep the port on the bottom.

20. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

But producing a cheap moulded plastic dock adapter as they have done in the past is one thing, making one that also adapts between different dock connectors is a different story.

I think it's inevitable that they will change the dock connector at some point though, but there isn't really an "ideal" time to do it because whenever they do do it, some people depending on the current size will be annoyed.

21. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I think its very likely.

Look at charging time on the new iPad. A revised method of charging for more speed like their laptops is a dire need, and only going to get worse. The tiny wires in dock connector cannot be rated for much current.

So why launch with iPhone 6? Sales strategy. Its the larger market penetrating, selling product, much more than iPad. IPad is still a sort of fresh market they are nuturing. So they push new standard with the surefire iPhone sales, more of their customer base adopts it. By the time the iPad 4 comes around, new connector is expected and mass adoption is already underway.

22. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I purchased a sweet dock from Phillips that uses this connector for iPhone's & iTouch's. I would hate to have to sell it in case I want the next iPhone and it has a different charging port. However perhaps Phillips will just make new docks to accommodate this port.

23. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I'm hoping for a Magsafe connector so that the device doesn't go flying if the cable is accidentally knocked.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I hope not. I dont want to buy a $30 cable for every room. :p

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Doubt they'll change it. They know the downsides to changing it just for a slightly thinner device.