I hope Jobs is ok, and regains his health but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Jan 15, 2009.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

(And this has nothing to do with wishing harm on him whatsoever)

This is an opportunity for a new train of thought at Apple in regards to the iPhone. If Jobs is no longer calling the shots, we might see a change in the AppStore allowing certain apps.

MMS
    AT&T claims (via chat I had the other day) that Apple has to make the MMS software so AT&T can allow the traffic. This might be a possibility now that Steve isnt in charge telling us what we need. I think its a little ridiculous for someone else to tell us what we need, especially when it is such a basic feature of any phone with a camera.

GPS Turn By Turn
    Maybe... Just maybe the SDK limitation on this type of application will be removed. We can hope right?

How about opening up the phone??? Just keep pushing out updates to your OS, but let us have more access without having to jailbreak! For the love of god, you cant even theme the phone! If someone has a battery issue with a 3rd party app they installed, guess what.. ITS THEIR FAULT! NOT YOURS!

I wish Mr. Jobs nothing but the best, but maybe a few new ideas would be good for Apple as a whole.

2. svndmvn Guest

I think it's a little ridiculous for a company to force you to buy a product you don't like...
    There won't be radical changes in Apple's philosophy in the next 5 months if Steve Jobs is supposed to come back.

3. plener macrumors newbie

jobs health

my prayers and a lot of others reach out to him

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Nobody. Nobody forces you to buy anything.

How did/does Apple, Inc. force you to buy an iPhone? :confused:
    Phil and Co. roll up and put a gun to your head?

What a bizarre statement to make.
    :rolleyes:

5. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ditto. He has done some great things in the world of technology as well as other things.

GET WELL!

Ummm what? That made absolutely no sense. No where did I state that Apple made me buy a phone? I said its ridiculous to dictate to me what features I want. Thats basically speaking for me, and everyone else in the world who bought the phone. At least say "We arent making it because AT&T cant support the bandwidth" or something... Dont just play us for idiots.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Maybe you didn't read the letter Steve Jobs sent out all the way through.

Just because he's on a leave of absence, doesn't mean he's not going to be in on the decisions.

7. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

I love you.

This Chicken Licken **** is starting to wear thin...

8. svndmvn Guest

It's called sarcasm, I quoted a similar phrase of the OP. Chill out!

Umm, you bought the iPhone hoping it could get features it doesn't have or you didn't research well enough and you say it's ridiculous for a company to tell you what you need, since your needs aren't satisfied by Apple why not buy something different, why did you buy the iPhone in the first place? This is what I meant. I hope it makes more sense now:)

9. jake921660 macrumors regular

Not 100% sure, but is it even Steve Jobs that makes these decisions or the product designers?

10. gibbz macrumors 68030

I bet Tim Cook is quickly working on implementing these features right now.

Wouldn't surprise me if he has ordered Apple to halt manufacturing of the MacBook line while they work to include firewire ...

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Actually, no you didn't. You made up a quote… the OP didn't say he was forced.
    You started up about being forced to buy something.
    ;)

[sarcasm]PS. Next time you are being sarcastic try being a little better at it. [/sarcasm]

12. synagence macrumors 6502a

Threads like this always make me laugh ...

You knew coming into the iPhone that it lacked features ... they make no attempts at hiding it ... yes they can add them but they make no promises either ... don't say anyone forced you to buy something like an expensive consumer electronics luxury device

13. herr_neumann macrumors 6502

herr_neumann

The lack of MMS is by far the most ridiculous thing about the iPhone. That Stupid ****ing website works less than half the time I try to use it. A photo should show up right in a chat dialogue box and you should be able to save it to your camera roll. The most advanced phone out can't do something my last 4 phones could do.

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Do not get confused here. Jobs is still the CEO, he has just taken a leave from the day to day operations. So, Steve is still calling the shots. Also why would Apple (w or w/o Jobs) change a strategy that works?

15. gibbz macrumors 68030

Then don't get the iPhone or get one that does support MMS if it such a big deal. For most however, email is preferred.

16. beg_ne macrumors 6502

I doubt it, I'm guessing most everyone at Apple has the same train of thought, you make it sound like Steve is the captain of a pirate ship and now that he's not directly at the helm the mutiny can take over.

How about no? Why anyone would think this has a snow flakes chance in hell of happening. EVER. Is beyond me.

17. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The fact is that he's still CEO and is in charge of the major operations still (as stated in the latest letter).
    Tim Cook has no rights to changing the SDK.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

As a semi-rare three year (so far!) esophageal cancer survivor, I hate to say it, but it sure looks like he's in real trouble. We all went through some horrible times at first, but when poor health comes back again, after being "okay" for a while, it doesn't usually turn out well. Good luck to him. He needs it.

Anyway, it's possible that he'll suddenly decide that he doesn't want to be remembered as "the guy who kept MMS off the iPhone", instead of for more important things. Not probable, but possible.

Hmm. Of course, remember last year when some big paper (NYT?) accidentally posted his obiturary? So at least he already knows what they'll say.

19. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

How often did you use MMS before you got the iPhone? I never did and everyone that would send me a picture sends them to my e-mail address now without complaint.

20. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Good thing you survived. Ya, a few years ago one of my cousins got leukemia and we thought she was doing a lot better but then about several months later it came back even worse. A couple weeks before Christmas my Uncle was diagnosed with a mild case of lymphoma but he's doing a lot better and we're hoping it doesn't come back.
    Although, it's said that this time they thing it's a food absorption problem not cancer.

Ya... if I were Steve Jobs I would not want the new stories to end with "And we will always remember him as the guy who kept MMS off the iPhone."

How in the world could the NYT "accidently" post is obituary.

21. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

They cant please everybody unfortunately, I'm sure they do alot of research before deciding what goes into their products, of the millions of people that own an iphone I'm sure the majority dont really need or require what tech geeks and bloggers have been crying about.

the only way to really satisfy your needs is for apple to make a customized iphone for each individual who wants one, adding or removing anything the person wants.

22. gibbz macrumors 68030

23. Barbs macrumors regular

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That pretty much describes most smartphones, at least software wise.

Hardware wise, most other phone makers create a range of models to choose from.

25. Evev12 macrumors regular

I couldn't agree with you more...you read my mind, I just didn't want to say anything under the circumstances (and I already knew all the fanboy responses that would follow). At this point most of my main "issues" with the iphone have been adressed and even though I could personally care less about MMS (and some of its other shortcommings), I can't tolerate Apple holding back specific features that could easily be included only so they can be the selling point of the next phone to be released (or as a measure of precaution to ensure that their itunes sales don't suffer any dents). Let's face it, as much as we all love the iphone, it's run by a bunch of extremely greedy, egotistical control freaks (or maybe it's just one) - either way, I obviously hope the best for his health and wish him a speedy recovery, but I def. think new management could be the breath of fresh air that's so desperately needed. People are just scared of change, that's what it boils down to. I know Apple's stock is dropping as a result of the news, but I think that this might actually be a very oppurtune time to invest. It's also absolute bull sh** that he can dance around his health issues the way he is - his investors have every right to know what the real health concern is.