I hope Marijuana is never legalized!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, Nov 2, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I hope Marijuana is never legalized!

Why you may ask, Marijuana is horrible for you and can lead to even worse drugs.

I just find Marijuana, smoking to be inhuman and disgusting.

Other then for medical uses Marijuana serves no good purpose.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I don't think you can outright say it serves 'no good purpose' - there are certain people who do benefit from it's calming effects, but I do believe there are often better options, and the side effects of Marijuana are more dangerous than most people think due to their subtlety (they really do creep up on you).

Just my 2c. I don't think legalising Marijuana would be a smart move.

I live in a house with two regular weed smokers, so I have first-hand experience of all it's side-effects.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oh look, another well thought out waloshin winner thread. :rolleyes:

4. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I think the main point is; whether drug use is a medical issue or a criminal issue.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Thank you.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Blah blah blah. I hope it is legalised and I don't even smoke it any more.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

hey he's probably worried that if it becomes legal he'll have some competition for these types of threads.

8. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Ok so this brings up a question why do you hope it is legalized and why don't you smoke it anymore?

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Maybe because a personal distaste shouldn't dictate the law for everyone?

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Simply because there is absolutely no reason on why it shouldn't be legal. Am I right to believe it is less harmful than smoking? Well, it's certainly much more enjoyable. ;)

Anyway not only will governments benefit from taxing the hell out of it, but it can then be controlled and regulated accordingly to minimise the possibility of someone over doing it. And if I am right in saying it is less harmful than smoking, then there is no reason what so ever why it can't be made legal.

11. cheeseblock macrumors member

I'll just say that I smoke almost everyday, and I'm still a successful college student. It is not terrible for your health, not addictive, and who cares if it can lead to worse drugs... alcohol can lead to becoming an alcoholic. Smoking cigarettes is worse for you. I'd love to see it legalized (for recreational use), but even if it's not, I'll still always know where to find it, and enjoy it just the same. And it shouldn't even be considered a drug. All these people who have never even smoked it before just assume it is some drug equivalent with all the other crazy illegal drugs. Whatever though, it's a pointless argument

12. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Ok not going to argue we all have our own opinions.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Ah, the "gateway drug" lie. You do know that there is no statistical evidence to support this? As marijuana is the most commonly available illegal substance, it is often (in addition to underage smoking an drinking) the first foray into illegal substances. When stressors and lack of parental supervision are factored in, there is no evidence to support the "gateway" hypothesis.

Alcohol is the most destructive and costly drug. Tobacco is more addictive.

Reading your posts, you would probably benefit from a toke.

14. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Eating lots and lots of frozen food... :D

15. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

I don't smoke weed. But it shouldn't be illegal.

1. It's no where near as dangerous as cigarettes or alcohol.
    2. The government could tax it like mad.
    3. Who are the government to tell us what we can and can't put in our bodies. As long as I'm not hurting anyone else.
    4. When you make something illegal it becomes more dangerous. If it was to be distributed by a chemist etc. They wouldn't be putting anything else in with it. Where as a drug dealer could put anything they want in it.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They are bad for you.
    They are a bit addictive.

However, there are many things that are worse for you, and yet legal, and so I won't even bother really arguing this topic unless those things (cigarettes, alcohol) are also taken care of, or the anti-marijuana crowd can somehow prove that it's far worse than both and deserves to be illegal.

17. Gakboi macrumors regular

Obviously rotting in jail for years due to possessing cannabis is much better for a persons life and well being than smoking it and leading a 'normal' life. I smoke it everyday and run a multi-million dollar business. Have tried every other drug under the sun and can't say I like them. LSD is great but once in a blue moon (haven't touched it in 5 years) and coke turns you into a total Richard. Can't say I am big into any of the opiates either. I do drink occasionally but it is a nasty poison that should be treated with caution. Anyway awesome post Waloshin. You seem to be a really smart guy who applies strick scientific rigor before you formulate an opinion.

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You mean second hand...
    You started a thread like this and expect not to argue?

Marijuana is no more harmful or dangerous than half the stuff you all keep in your medicine cabinets.

19. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

You do realize that weed is not a gateway drug? It's not addicting either. It also doesn't cause cancer, nor does it kill anyone.

Please know your facts before you spew crap out of your mouth.

20. Queso macrumors G4

As a decent half-way measure the Canadian government should legislate a safe zone where anyone who wants to smoke cannabis is allowed to, but only in that location. They ought to also surround the building or street with fast food outlets in case the smokers get the munchies, which will provide employment for Canada's exponentially growing Filipino community.

Any thoughts from other forum members as the ideal location of such a facility? :D

21. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Well, Im certainly glad we have you around to tell us what is good for us!

You say you "find" MArijuana to be these things...Have you ever tried it yourself?

How is it inhuman? Please elaborate.

Smoking is disgusting, thats why I have a vaporizer, and is why I make cannabutter.

To be honest, if I didnt smoke marijuana, Id probably be popping some prescription pill to take the edge off of a stressful day at work, and to help with sleep (MJ also gives me wicked dreams!).

Also, FWIW, I find alcohol to be disgusting. When I think of a drug that has ruined more lives, families, careers, and contributed to more deaths, alcohol is the first thing that comes to mind.

22. Gakboi macrumors regular

Click here for information on drugs presented by Professor David Nutt, the former UK chief drugs adviser (as published in revered scientific journal the Lancet).

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I do believe its a gateway drug which can lead to the use of harder more destructive drugs. While many people don't turn on to the other drugs, many people do because of it.

Additionally, i've known a lot of people who use it, and are not motivated, more interested in getting high then working and or going to school.

Like all of the other illegal drugs, its more destructive to a person's lives, and health then helpful

24. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I hink it was Doug Benson who said he wore crime someone on weed has ever committed is smoke a joint, walk to the nearest liquor store to grab a Snickers chocolate bar, go home and fall asleep.
    :cool: (I never use this smiley icon but seemed fitting)