I hope there's an option of removing the menu on additional screens it wastes space

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by barkmonster, Jul 3, 2013.

1. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

With multiple 1920x1080 screens, every bit of space is useful. I currently have 2 screens running at 1920x1080 and 1280 x 1024. The additional depth helps with certain software and eventually I'll be replacing the 19" LCD with my 24" TV as the second screen.

It's a complete waste of screen area and only needs to be on the primary display.

2. AlbertEinstein macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

What exactly do you use the second screen for? I don't see the problem in cluttering 12px of space with useful options for active applications.

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I don't understand. Granted I only use a single external monitor but I like the independence of each display now. It's like I have 2 machines.

That said, Apple's implementation of Full Screen Apps could have hid the menu bar. Don't know why they chose to keep it visible.

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

What are you talking about? Full screen apps do not keep the menu bar visible, it's hidden by default. This is true for either single or dual monitors.

5. barkmonster thread starter macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It's enough to require scroll bars vs no scroll bars on certain applications. You only need the menu bar on 1 screen.

6. fivedots macrumors 6502a

If I've got an app on the second screen, it makes sense to me that the menu bar for it is available on the same screen. Having to mouse over to the primary display to find it is illogical.

7. jb510 macrumors regular

jb510

Yes, you can revert to ML behavior. Set displays have seperate spaces to off.

8. barkmonster thread starter macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It's not how it handles 1 screen per app I'm concerned about. It's how it utilises multiple screens for 1 app.

9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Oops. I meant to say the ONLY thing hidden is the menu bar in FS Mode. (For most apps). Not really full screen to me - never understood that.

10. fivedots macrumors 6502a

So you're saying if the app is on Screen 1 the menu bar should be too, or if it's on Screen 2 the menu bar should be on Screen 2 only? Just trying to clarify, so apologies if I'm misunderstanding.

11. MikhailT macrumors 601

What's difficult to understand? If you want the app to take up the most space available, press the green zoom button. If you want the app to take over the whole screen, so you're not distracted by anything else including the menu bar, press the full screen button.

12. Meyvn macrumors 6502

What else did you want to be hidden?

13. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Uh... everything except the window content?

Why can't everything be hidden until you expose it with a mouse arrow or key press? Don't know why I need to stare at a Safari address bar once the page is loaded. Other 3rd party apps have been doing Full Screen for years. Nothing special about Apple's implementation.

Also don't know what's so special about a Full Screen app that it needs its' own exclusive desktop.

14. dyn macrumors 68030

Because at 1 glance you can see where you are: on which site and on what section of the site. It prevents users getting lost on their screens. This is necessary because people will be distracted when using the computer (somebody visits them, somebody walks by, something falls from the desk, they hear a certain sound, etc.). By showing the address bar you have something to hold on to ("what was I do doing?").

In this particular case the menubar isn't necessary, you don't really need to use it when browsing the web. This can be different in other apps. In some apps having the menubar always shown can make the application easier to use which makes you more productive and not annoyed by it. Apps can fix that by using panels of some sort. That way all the necessary tools can be put in that panel and the menubar can stay hidden until you really need it. Aperture does something like that (in fact the user can choose if the toolbar should be hidden or always visible). I think this is something that the app builder has to fix.

15. Meyvn macrumors 6502

If you're saying, Apple should have this as an option in Safari (and perhaps other content-consumption apps), I agree. I certainly wish they'd at least make it easily available in Interface Builder. If I had my druthers I'd like to just see the tabs at the top by default, and nothing else. 99% of the time I create new tabs by a keyboard or trackpad shortcut. The only information I actually need to see at the top of the screen is which tab is next to which so I can easily swipe between them.

OTOH if you're saying, all apps on the whole platform should behave this way by default, I don't agree, just because of all the time I've spent teaching people how to use their machines, professionally and in my personal life. Vanishing onscreen items are a fine thing for power users who want to make the most of their space (which, in your use case, on a small display, it especially makes sense), but just add confusion for people who aren't natively familiar and are trying to learn.