"I hope they have kidnapping insurance."- Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jun 1, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What a douchebag. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/...ent-miami-trump-doral-resort-mexico-city-2017

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Kidnappings in Mexico surge to the highest number on record
    Last year, Mexico officially recorded 1,698 kidnappings, the highest number on record. Yet government officials concede that only a small percentage of victims — one in 10 by some estimates — report the crime, as police are sometimes involved in kidnappings and not trusted. The statistics kept by Miranda’s organization, Association to Stop Kidnapping (Asociacion Alto al Secuestro) , recorded 3,038 kidnappings last year. Another, led by Fernando Ruiz Canales, a former kidnapping victim who now helps negotiate for the release of hostages, puts last year’s kidnapping total at 27,740, or 76 per day.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

facts are racist, wait, it's "an inconvenient truth", there.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Geez. 76 people per day. You think they'd get bored of it after awhile.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

not sure they are kidnapping the same people :p

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Trump has the uncanny ability to take even an idea with a kernel of truth and make it sound like the most jacktastic thing anyone's ever uttered.

Just this week, Alan Pulido, a Mexican football star was kidnapped in Tamaulipas, but he managed to escape and call authorities.

However, as La Reforma noted, parts of Pulido's story don't match up, indicating that perhaps his kidnapping was a stunt intended to make the governor running for re-election look good.

Regardless, Mexico has a significant problem with kidnappings as the act has become a kind of side-business for the cartels and has became a way of getting things done in some of Mexico's most violent states.

Guerro golfers on a PGA tour will be protected by layers of security, and are unlikely to become targets for kidnapping or killings. But, average Mexicans including migrants trying to cross the border, still have to worry about kidnapping and extortion in their daily lives.

7. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Sadly, Trump is correct. Kidnapping in Mexico is a lucrative business because ransoms are paid, which encourages the behavior.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Well yeah, but there are only so many people in Mexico City. If things keep up with the way they are, they're going to have to start rekidnapping people to keep the trend going.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

poor people USED to be safe from kidnapping until morons started doing the express kidnappings,
    now even the poor are screwed.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The reality is far more terrifying. In some cartel kidnappings non-payment, or the involvement of cops is countered with mailing body parts or dumping a corpse in a street.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

when your kids are gone you have no options, wife gone? no comment...............

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep. This practice shows up along the borderlands, where migrants are taken to stash houses and their coyotes demand more money from the family.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ha, the POS cops are behind some of the kidnappings

14. Robisan macrumors 6502

Truth is not a defense. There are many truths that are diplomatically inappropriate for governmental leaders (and those who aspire to be) to speak.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The move of the tournament should come as no surprise. And Donald Trump's irresponsible and inflammatory rhetoric is pretty much 100% to blame. As long ago as last year both the PGA and their sponsors issued strong statements regarding Trump:

As usual, Trump declined to take responsibility for his own words, or for the consequences of that hateful and divisive language.

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Seriously? And what truths are appropriate? Should apartheid have been called out? FGM is a long standing local tradition in many nations - should we keep quiet? If we really talking about appeasement as diplomacy, we can just Godwin the thread right now.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

"It's not my fault I said it. It's their fault for not taking it with a smile on our face."

NOW THAT'S A LEADER, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yeah, trump is to blame for everything, when he said Mexico sends rapist & criminals to the U.S the Mexican criminals had no problem proving how right he was, will kidnappers step up to the plate and take a few golfers with them once again proving trump right?

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Diplomacy is the art of designing a message in such a manner that people can hear the truth.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2016 ---
    In the case of the PGA leaving a Trump-owned course, Trump is most certainly to blame.

And, Trump's comments were still wrong. Mexico doesn't send anyone, much less rapists and criminals to the United States.

Moreover, Trump conflated average Mexicans with the criminals fueled to a large degree by America's huge appetite for drugs and the abject failure of the drug war.

And, we see that Trump's subtle racism against Mexican-Americans drips through. This week, he attacked federal judge Gonzalo Curiel for being a "hater of Donald Trump" and made sure to note that Curiel "happens to be, we believe, Mexican."

Curiel was born in East Chicago and west to Indiana University. He's not Mexican, but rather Mexican-American or simply American. That Curiel's heritage became a talking point—"which is great, I think that's fine" Trump said—is a not-so-subtle racism.

20. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I'm not so sure. It seems there's more here than just Trump, and I know that really irks people who like to post anything that casts Trump or his businesses in a bad light.

From the article, it sounds like Cadillac did not renew its sponsorship, and without a sponsor, the PGA Tour could not play there.

Reports are also saying that the PGA Tour asked the City of Miami-Dade for $6 million to keep the Tour there, which they could not do. Seems to me this move had more to do with money than anything Trump said or did.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

trump is never to blame, ask him :p

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, that's also true with my 5-year old, but I'm not voting for his presidency either.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

your 5 Y/O would most likely be a better choice than the 2 current clowns at the top of the major crap houses.

24. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

You are so confusing. Is it no longer Trump 2016!?

25. Robisan macrumors 6502

Good job putting words in my mouth. I never said that all truths must remain unspoken. "Appeasement?" Puhlease, give me a break. :rolleyes: