I hope you are on the list.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 9, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2. mudslag, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

3. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I'm already an organ donor, and I encourage everybody to sign up.

4. sim667 macrumors 65816

In the UK I'm pretty sure you automatically become a donor unless you opt out.

5. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I had to sign up.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

When?

I think it was changed in 2015

7. juanm, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I had leukemia as a child so they wouldn't actually use my organs to save someone. That doesn't mean they can't use me as a cadaver or for some form of medical research... far less glamorous no?

My (Jewish) mother resents I'm a donor... organ donation is not kosher so to speak. But she's an MD she can't complain too much.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I'm too old and also I take medication that precludes me. Before I turned into a geriatric, I did the first match for donating bone marrow to somebody with cancer, but the second test proved I was incompatible. :( I do know somebody who donated a kidney (as it turns out to somebody they know). To me that defines 'hero'.

Personally, I don't care what people do with my body after I die. It's not like I'll miss it.

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I enrolled in the University of Minnesota Anatomy Bequest Program two years ago.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Sorry to hear you're ineligible... I am too so I share your frustration. I can't donate blood, marrow, organs. I suppose I could grow my hair out and donate to Locks of Love.

Even if you're not eligible to have your organs donated to another person, your body can may be used for other scientific purposes. Something to consider. As I mentioned in my post, its not nearly as glamorous sounding compared to saving someone's life, but that's not to say there's no benefit.

It's so disappointing to hear people talk about being on transplant wait lists... If I remember the list is the US is well over 100,000 patients long... truly a profound shortage. 22 people die a day waiting. Hopefully in the not so distant future we'll be able to successfully and ethically grow immunicologically compatible replacement organs. We're getting very close to this becoming a reality.

When I was in elementary school a teacher in my town's public school system needed a kidney transplant. She was widowed and had no brothers or sisters or children. My friends dad who lived in town and a complete stranger was a match and decided to donate his kidney. He was married, a father of three, and was an successful hedge fund manager. His donation can be explained for no other reason than altruism. With nothing to gain and so much to lose, I think his actions are truly heroic.

My brother passed away when he was 26 and was registered as an organ donor. He was able to donate his liver. A couple years later my family attended a dinner party where we got to meet the then 25 year old recipient and his family. All I can say is that it was a very powerful experience. There is such a sense of... relief and gratitude... knowing that my brothers passing gave life to someone else.