I I were to buy a local ip4S off craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LapsangSouchong, Oct 31, 2011.

1. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

What safeguards should I take. Other than making sure the guy meets me. Has a receipt. That the phone is, indeed, still wrapped (as he says).

I haven't decided if I am going to do this, but... what would one do to be safe?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Arrange to meet at an Apple Store.

3. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I like this! However, since it's still wrapped, I'm hoping it's unlocked... what's the advantage to meeting in the apple store? (I think I'm being obtuse).

4. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

First and foremost, meet at a public location.

If you are as skeptical as I tend to be, yet the deal is that good enough, meet by the carrier store to verify it can be activated with no issue. on the spot, and work the transaction like that.

Good luck.

5. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Then it wouldn't be unlocked. :-( But yeah, I'm pretty skeptical.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I would not buy a sealed box iPhone without opening the box first.

7. Jladd4420 macrumors newbie

i bought my ip4s off Craigslist and i just had the guy meet me at an AT&T store, he had the receipt and the box was sealed. After that i went in the AT&T store and they activated the phone and sent me on my way, only took about 20 minutes total. Just make sure you meet in public location and open the box to make sure everything looks good.

8. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Yeah. Me neither... In reality.

Man I wish my local apple store would sell me a dang iPhone. They are one of the stores playing by the rules. grr.

----------

I would, of course, want to verify that it's unlocked, which isn't really possible.
    I should just wait.
    Or get a canadian one.

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Absolutely. Meet at a carrier or Apple store, activate the phone on the spot, then money changes hands. Anything less and you're asking to be ripped off.

10. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Yeah, I'll wait. I want an unlocked IP4S (I travel), so I'll wait for Apple to start selling them at my local apple store.

11. malevolant macrumors 6502

Shrink wrap and heat gun are cheap. He could also try to pass off an iPhone 4 as a 4s, so make sure you check the back of the phone.

12. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

There are some craptastic people out there.

13. gb21 macrumors newbie

there certainly are. my story is from the other side. I picked up a white unlocked 16gb off contract then decided that maybe i really should get a black one. kept the phone in shrink wrap (until yesterday when someone asked me to verify) and tried to sell it off ebay.

had trouble selling it as it kept getting bid by fraudulent buyers from russia (that's what their addresses say) using other people's paypal account, or non-payment, Or ask a bunch of questions, said they sent payment, and of course, didn't see a dime. And I couldn't resale until each investigation is cleared and then ebay limits my listing of iphone per week to 4 or something (even though it's been the same one phone just having to be relisted due to all these Craptastic people!!) so now I have to wait again before I can relist.

looks like I may just return it to apple store... can't imagine there'd be no one wanting this phone, and it took me days to finally got to reserve and all that..