I just backed up my entire harddrive, will my Firefox bookmarks be in there??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VideoNewbie, Mar 13, 2010.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

will my firefox/safari bookmarks be in the backup i just made of my harddrive?

if so where can i find them?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

What kind of backup? What did you choose to include or exclude in the backup set? We need a bit more information to even begin to guess at an answer.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If they were on your hard drive when you backed it up, of course they'll be on the backup.

4. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

all i did was plug an external harddrive into the firewire port....and then the icon on the top of the screen said "backing up" it just now finished ....

(sorry im a complete newbie)

is this the info u r lookin for?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

6. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

yes i used time machine.....

does this mean that my firefox bookmarks are in there? and if so what folder might they be in? thanks

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

OK, Time Machine (TM) by default only excludes itself, so they would be copied.

Your bookmarks should be stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/*.default, where "~" is your User Directory, and "*.default" will be a folder with some other name in place of the asterisk that contains your bookmarks.

When you enter TM, you'll get a Finder window. Navigate to the directory above, and then you can go "back in time" to find the version you want. Once you find it, select it and click the large "Restore" at the bottom of the screen.

8. nigameash macrumors 6502

If you backed up using TM, they should be backed up ;)

9. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi!

when i go to application support in my library these are the files i find

[​IMG]

wen i click on "mozilla"

this is what i see

[​IMG]

could my bookmarks be somewhere else because i cant seem to find the pathway you specified :(

10. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

this "~" indicates your Home folder. So you are looking in the wrong place. But I have another idea for you. Export your bookmarks from within Firefox's bookmarks manager. I think there's a gear icon in the toolbar somewhere which has that option(not using Firefox atm) Just put it in a folder that you know is being backed up by Time Machine Like your Documents folder. then check to see within Time Machine if you have it backed up before proceeding.

Because if you are going for a fresh start with a reinstall and don't want to bring the previous Firefox profile with you then exporting the bookmarks beforehand is a better solution IMO. I always keep a backup of my bookmarks on a USB stick for safekeeping whenever I reinstall.

11. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

thaniks i will try that...

but im wondering why i dont see that file in my folder? how am i not looking in the right place? i went to the application support folder..theres only 1 folder on my computer titled application support..

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There should be two Application Support folders on your Mac, more if your have more users.

One is located at Macintosh HD / Library / Application Support and the other at Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Application Support.
    Macintosh HD is the name of your internal boot HDD, so it might differ from yours.