I just bought a PC.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I just gave money to the Microsoft Industrial Complex.

Damned Macs won't run navigational software for crap in VPC.

Today is a sad day. A Dell, no less.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
You're not going to put that on your beautiful new desk with that Power Mac and the dual displays, are you? Surely, you have a closet somewhere you can hide it away in?

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
powermac666 said:
You're not going to put that on your beautiful new desk with that Power Mac and the dual displays, are you? Surely, you have a closet somewhere you can hide it away in?
Oh, this thing is going on the floor in the corner.

No, can't use just a GPS - I'd bore you with the explanation why. ;)

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
iGary said:
Oh, this thing is going on the floor in the corner.

No, can't use just a GPS - I'd bore you with the explanation why. ;)

Sounds like the same issues i have with the GIS software where i work.. it would be the only reason i have a PC.. VPC works great for everything else

Ed

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
yea, i'm kinda in the same boat with my dad. He needs a computer to get on the internet with... that's it, and he wants the cheapest thing possible. Well, I'm trying my best to switch him to the mac mini... I'm even letting him borrow my iMac to get him used to the OS.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
iGary said:
I just gave money to the Microsoft Industrial Complex.

Damned Macs won't run navigational software for crap in VPC.

Today is a sad day. A Dell, no less.

Welcome to my reason why I haven't purchased a PowerBook in the last 2 years. MS Streets and Trips is godlike and MapPoint has features no other app on the Mac does. I think mapping\GPS software is one of the biggest weak point of the Mac's software library. *waits patiently for a Pentium M PowerBook that will dual boot.* :D

Don't know how much expierence you have with windows but one tip. Reinstall the OS from the provided CD. Seriously. Do NOT stick with the default OS that came with the system. Dell adds all kinds of other crap to the system that makes it unstable.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
mgargan1 said:
Well, I'm trying my best to switch him to the mac mini... I'm even letting him borrow my iMac to get him used to the OS.

Have you taken him to an Apple store yet? Seriously its the best method of getting someone to buy a Mac.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Yeah well I do all my CAD work on a Windows PC. It's not that bad. Just makes me miss my TiBook. At least I can still keep my iTunes collection on my work computer. My co-workers love being able to listen to my library in their own offices.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Sorry iGary. We all know how much you love your style. How much did you spend on it?

NtotheIzoo

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
SiliconAddict said:
Don't know how much expierence you have with windows but one tip. Reinstall the OS from the provided CD. Seriously. Do NOT stick with the default OS that came with the system. Dell adds all kinds of other crap to the system that makes it unstable.
I second that recommendation....

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
I had to do the same thing last week. I went out and bought a compaq laptop to finish up my M.S. what a sad day it was. at least i can some widgets via konfabulator, which is now free!

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
OK, technically, the people I work for bought a PC for me to use. I bought it, but they are reimbursing me for it, it's not mine.

It was 2500 bucks - they wanted a back up machine that can do the Photoshop and other work I'm doing if the G5 goes down. 20" widescreen, 2gb RAM, 3.20 P4, 250GB HDD...decent machine.

It lives on the floor, though, when it comes. ;)

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Really how many Mac users don't have a PC? It's unfortunate that iGary had to get one (and more unfortunate it's a Dell), but pretty much everyone I've talked to on here has one. I'll admit that I (sorta) have a Shuttle SS40G (it's on loan to my dad right now), but I don't actually use it anymore.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
wrc fan said:
Really how many Mac users don't have a PC? It's unfortunate that iGary had to get one (and more unfortunate it's a Dell), but pretty much everyone I've talked to on here has one. I'll admit that I (sorta) have a Shuttle SS40G (it's on loan to my dad right now), but I don't actually use it anymore.
Thats pretty much says it, after decades of only Macs i bought my first PC this past year. Id rather use a Mac but for somethings they just dont cut it. I think Apple is on the right path to changing this. Bring on the Intel Macs and the sooner the better. I really didnt want a Alienware but Apple forced it on me. Its very solid hardware. But it aint Mac OS thats for sure.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
iGary said:
..they wanted a back up machine that can do the Photoshop and other work I'm doing if the G5 goes down
That's a good one! A Windows box to be there if your Mac goes down :D You won't be using it much if that's the case - except for your navigational software ;)

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Cooknn said:
That's a good one! A Windows box to be there if your Mac goes down :D You won't be using it much if that's the case - except for your navigational software ;)
Well I am getting good enough with my Photoshop actions that I can also set it up to do work while I'm doing work on the G5, but honestly, all I really need it for is the nav software.

My dad came over last night and said my office looks like mission control.
:rolleyes: :D

I pointed out that the ugly PC is under the desk.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
So iGary, you may wanna upgrade that ol' signature then. :D

I've got a PC stashed away somewhere and I can honestly say I don't regret getting it. I like having a dabble in XP every now and then, if only to remember why I use OSX. ;)

As for working with two machines on different operating systems at the same time, go iGary! That's impressive. :)

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
mad jew said:
So iGary, you may wanna upgrade that ol' signature then. :D

I've got a PC stashed away somewhere and I can honestly say I don't regret getting it. I like having a dabble in XP every now and then, if only to remember why I use OSX. ;)

As for working with two machines on different operating systems at the same time, go iGary! That's impressive. :)
I'm freaking lost with Windows - not trying to start a flame war (OS X vs Winblows), but man, Windows is so counter-intuitive. I look like a fool trying to use it. Of Course, I've been known to look like a fool trying to use OS X, too.

And hell, no that Dell POS ain't going in my sig. ;)